Wedding Cake .. Help!

Baking By harleyquinn90 Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 8:52am by maybenot

harleyquinn90 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 2:23am
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake to make this upcoming weekend, and the bride does not want anything original. She basically saw a picture and decided that was it , exactly what she wanted. I'm wondering if anyone can figure out how tall the layers are, as well as what size cake pans do you think are used. Ive been looking at it, but it's pretty difficult for me to figure out, hoping someone can help.

Image is below and any help i'd appreciate!

Thanks in advance, 5643f83122b94.jpeg

8 replies
AmberNada Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 3:04am
post #2 of 9

I think it's a 6" 9" 12", bottom layer 4" 2nd layer 2" top layer 4"  I could be wrong though.

reginaherrin Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 3:38am
post #3 of 9

Definitely looks like a 6,9,12" and I would say 4" tall for the top tier, about 2" tall for the middle and I would say 5-6" tall for the bottom tier.  But the size cake you size cake should be based on how many people the bride needs to feed because that size will feed about 84 people.  Is that the size she needs?  Also, its for this weekend?  Shouldn't this all be figured out well before today?  You will probably be doing quite a bit of rushing around to get this cake done in just a few days so good luck to you.  HTH

harleyquinn90 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 3:54am
post #4 of 9

in a few weekends and not my first wedding cake just looking for sizing advice as its much more than she needs she wants the design itself.. there will be tonnes left over, thanks for the input and advice tho!

julia1812 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:10am
post #5 of 9

Shouldn't you rather work out a size according to the servings you need? grin.png

harleyquinn90 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:14am
post #6 of 9

That would be ideal as I have for every other cake ...but this bride is different. She wants what she wants and that's it. I've advised her but at the end of the day the bride gets what she wants of course!

reginaherrin Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:15am
post #7 of 9

Good to know.  With me, sizing is the first thing I discuss with the bride and I can show her different size options. Most brides don't want leftover cake so go for smaller sizes, especially since it saves them money but as long as they pay for a bigger cake it's not a big deal.  

StoreybookCakes Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:18am
post #8 of 9

You could always use a cake dummy if the three tiers will be too much cake for the amount of guests?

maybenot Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 8:52am
post #9 of 9

For height, I see 6", 3", 4". For diameter, I see a 3" differential.  I don't know how many servings that you need, but to keep those proportions, I'd make them 12", 9", 6".  I go by Wilton party servings for all cakes, so that's about 96 servings.  You could do it any sizes that keep that ratio, but if the bottom is larger, the top will be larger and that can lead to a sort of clunky cake that looks squat or in need of another tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%