Strawberry Cake - Extracts And Powders

Baking By sugarstorme Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 2:51am by Pastrybaglady

sugarstorme Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 3

Evening all. 

I've been tasked with making strawberry cupcakes and I've never had so many issues with a recipe trying to get it right and actually tasting like it should. I've used fresh strawberries before and they were VILE chucked them all away.. although I didn't cook them down. 

From everything I've read on the internet, it appears that strawberry flavoured cake isn't so straightforward. I also don't really want to use jelly powder. 

Can anyone recommend a brand that makes a decent extract and has anyone used strawberry powder and could you recommend a brand as all the ones I've looked at have had mixed reviews and I don't really want to splash out loads of cash testing different ones. 

I'd really appreciate your help. :) x

*Last edited by sugarstorme on 11 Nov 2015 , 6:13pm
2 replies
Rfisher Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 1:01am
post #2 of 3

Hero or Amoretti strawberry fruit compounds. Olive nation natural strawberry extract. Freeze dried strawberries pulverized, and I choose to sieve the seeds out. I don't notice much difference in brands of freeze dried items...........

reliable, constant supply line of tasty fresh strawberries that work well in baking, I find is hard to come by.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 2:51am
post #3 of 3

I've had really good success with the jello + puree combo.  I think what put it over the top was adding puree and  pulverized freeze dried strawberries to the SMBC.  I think you get truer strawberry flavor in the icing rather than the cake.  I made cupcakes for a teenager's birthday and my customer told me all the kids took a moment to just smell the cupcakes because the strawberry was so strong.  Most people like a bit of contrast between the cake and frosting so I often do vanilla or white cake mixed with the berry icings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%