Please Help! Fondant Gymnast Figurine??

Decorating By amandajm Updated 17 Nov 2015 , 12:49pm by amandajm

amandajm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandajm Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 3:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I've had a friend request that I make a gymnastics-themed cake for my friend. I've been asked to make a cake with a fondant figurine on top doing this pose!

5642b7a77e57f.png

I'm thinking of making the arms, legs and torso separately, but am worried about gravity taking it's toll, and the torso part falling.

Any suggestions please?? How should I construct the figurine??

Thanks so much in advance!!

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:37am
post #2 of 5

The only part I would do separately is the head. It's much easier to Form the legs, arms and torso in one piece. Dry it over a curved can or make a shape out of carton paper. Once it's dry you can put the suit on or even paint it on. Hiding all the seems when doing the figurine in sections will be difficult. 

NatStan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatStan Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:47am
post #3 of 5

Hi, I would definitely use gum paste instead of fondant, it is more elastic and dries harder and more quickly. Also I would make the figure at least a couple weeks in advance and make sure it dries completely while being supported in that back bend. I would also make the entire figure out of flesh coloured gum paste and then "dress" it after it has dried for a while. You can use the "outfit" to hide any joins or cracks. I hope that helps some.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:51am
post #4 of 5

Good point ^^^

Fondant alone wouldn't work. At least use gumtex or cmc in your fondant or make a 50:50 mix with gum paste in case it will be eaten.

amandajm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandajm Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your useful feedback! I made the whole body in one piece in the end, with a flat piece of clothing that I added on top after it had dried. 

564b225d30282.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%