Marzipan Cake Covering

Decorating By SweetsByMelissa Updated 21 Nov 2015 , 5:48pm by chikki

SweetsByMelissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsByMelissa Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I am new to cake central and need some advice! I am a fondant cake maker and have recieved  and order for a cake covered in marzipan. I have never covered a cake in marzipan before.  

I would prefer to buy it but I can't seem to find it I have found a few rollout marzipans on google but I don't know anything about them and what kind is good? If it can't be bought does anyone have any good recipes?

Any advice much aprichiated!

6 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 1:09am
post #2 of 7

Marzipan is not generally used as a finish covering on cakes--not even on fruitcakes, and certainly not on dessert cakes.  It's pretty heavy & oily.

With fruitcakes, it's used as rolled out panels to cover up the imperfections from fruits & nuts on the surface of the cake.  After that, the cake is covered in either royal icing with some glycerine added to make it easier to cut, or fondant/sugarpaste.

Colette Peters makes what she calls "marzifon", where she kneads together marzipan and fondant.  It makes a nice, pliable covering that is ivory.

3656755572_21b135708d_b.jpg

spantchr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spantchr Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 1:21am
post #3 of 7

I have found marzipan in my local Shop Rite.  It is sold in a tube like cookie dough and found in the baking aisle.  I don't know anything about the quality.  This may not help if your cake is large, but it may give you a chance to work with it to see what you can do.  

Good luck

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 2:55am
post #4 of 7

If you want to use it for any reason, be careful of what you buy. Some people call marzipan almond paste, but it's not.  Almond paste is an ingredient in marzipan. 

http://www.americanalmond.com/resources/faqs/

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

Last time I needed a large amount of marzipan, I ordered a 5 lb block of it from this website.  It was a  lot cheaper per weight than buying the tubes of it at the grocery store.
http://www.21snackshop.com/Marzipan/b/7506543011?ie=UTF8&title=Marzipan

Amazon also carries this brand, but last time I checked the shipping was more expensive there.  Good place to check reviews though.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TVYWW?keywords=marzipan&pebp=1447309931935&perid=EBRBW7TWSJ5F6V7HR9Z6&qid=1447309913&ref_=sr_1_15&s=grocery&sr=1-15

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 12 Nov 2015 , 6:45am
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7

i used it on a sneaker cake -- it was the perfect texture for a converse shoe -- it takes color really well -- it perfectly molded onto what i wanted -- i bought almond paste -- which as you probably know comes in the same kind of little sausage tubes like marzipan then i added whatever it was to make it into marzipan -- was a breeze -- i used the recipe in the margaret braun cakewalk book -- i can post it if you want -- i will paraphrase the instructions so as not to bust any copyrights -- just lemme know

chikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikki Posted 21 Nov 2015 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 7

Just wanted to add there is a delicious cake in the UK covered in marzipan - Battenberg!  I enjoy the taste of marzipan over fondant, as do my family.  Must be a cultural thing. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%