Finally Open

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 9 Nov 2015 , 11:40pm by camomama5

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hello..thanks for your time you're taking to read this. I used to rent a commercial kitchen to do cakes out of. I stopped renting (more work than it's worth) and a few yrs ago we started bldg our own comm kitchen right off of our house....completely separate. Finally it's DONE and I passed inspection a couple weeks ago. Yay!! Anyway I'm doing an event in a few weeks and it's a winter fest that will draw around 10,000. Back when I was renting I did this festival and i sold probably 250 pieces. It was a total bust. But.... I had a horrible spot. They stuck me far away from where the crowds were. That has been remedied. This time much better spot. Also all I had was cupcakes back then. Now I have many more desserts. Also I had no time for any display wedding cakes last time. And I had no tent. Just a table. So all the odds were not in my favor and I sold around 250 cupcakes. This time.....I'll have a brightly colored tent and I'm doing a whole 30's/40's theme with swing and big band music playing and my girl and me are going to dress the part (this is going to be SO FUN!!) And I'd like the whole display to look like a vintage wedding dessert table w a couple display wedding cakes and lots of desserts. I'm picturing muted pastels and gold or silver, pearls and lace. I know vintage is a broad term now. Picture Cotton and Crumbs. THAT vintage. . So 1st question.....Where can I find those colors for coloring IMBC and fondant? 2nd question......Should I go by the 10% rule? I sold 250 last time but had a really bad spot, no display cakes, only cupcakes, no theme or music, no tent. This time will be much different. What are your opinions on this? Thank you for any input. Thanks again for your time. 

3 replies
camomama5 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 4

I forgot to add that it's a 3 hr festival and last time we finished setting up and we're ready to sell an HOUR late!! So we lost 1/3 of the time. So that was in just 2 hrs. Another factor. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

i just wanted to say multiplied congratulations on your hard work and your launch! 

i've never done a festival or anything like that -- just some wedding shows --

and you seem to be on the right track comparing your first time to this time -- what about handing out a coupon for a free christmas cookie or $5 off their order of ___ if they book with you for a dessert or whatever it is you want to sell for christmas -- a little something something so say thanks for their future order? that way they have a take away from the event to remember you by?

best of the best of the best to you -- let me/us know how it goes if you get a  chance

camomama5 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 4

Good idea. Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes....early Dec.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%