Help - Need A Dairy Free Cake With Eggs And Gluten!

Baking By pottedmeatchunks Updated 8 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm by craftybanana2

pottedmeatchunks Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I'm breastfeeding a baby that cannot tolerate any form of dairy.  I CAN eat eggs and gluten though.  So I don't need a vegan recipe and I definitely don't want a gluten free recipe, because being dairy free is bad enough lol.  It's so hard to find dairy free desserts that aren't also gluten free and therefore disgusting (sorry celiacs!), I've been surviving off dark chocolate box brownies and I'm about tired of them.  Please if you have a recipe that does not take butter in the cake OR frosting that's what I need.  Lactose-free won't cut it either, and no faux frostings with casein such as Bettercream etc.  Got to be ZERO dairy my baby has no tolerance for it.

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
craftybanana2 Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 2

Well, for cake, you can sub out the milk for just about any milk substitute like coconut milk, almond milk, etc. If there is butter in the cake, you can usually sub shortening or go with a vegan margarine made for baking (Earth balance has baking sticks). You can sub water for regular milk too, not sure about buttermilk though (orange juice or soy yogurt maybe?). You could try an oil-based recipe instead of a butter one so you only have to sub out the milk.

As far as icing, use a shortening based one and use water (or coconut milk) in place of any dairy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%