Christmas Cake Recipe Uk Thread

Baking By LizzieAylett Updated 10 Nov 2015 , 3:31pm by Jeff_Arnett

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I remember reading last year in the UK thread about various recipes people had for Christmas cakes.  There was one that was for a rich fruit cake and it sounded lovely but I didn't have time to make it last year.  After spending ages looking through the old pages I still can't find where they were discussed.  Any suggestions for the recipe?   It may have been from Cazza but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Lizzie

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 8

i am clueless -- just wanted to say nice to see you

LizzieAylett Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Kate.  I've not been on so much of late because of baby and injury and life!  But I foolishly offered a voucher for a cake to a charity auction for friends who are raising money to go and do mission work in Brazil, and the guy calling the auction didn't make clear all my conditions - so I've now got to make an extra Christmas cake.  I thought I'd take the opportunity (with the winner's permission) to do some experimenting with new recipes.  I hope I can find the one I saw before, or perhaps someone else can recommend a good, rich dark traditional fruitcake?

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/780876/the-fruit-cake-thread

here's some good info.  MimiFix's recipe is really nice, for a non traditional one.

LizzieAylett Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 8

That's the thread!  Thank you so much :-)

Lizzie

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

yay, rfisher and lizzie! and mimi too

CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 8

I have a wonderful fruit cake recipe but my sister and I are the only ones left who will eat it! Candied fruit, raisins. dates. nuts, no citron just a little orange zest. Even buying the ingredients in the smallest quantities it is expensive to make just for the 2 of us. I haves toyed with the idea of subbing dried fruit for the candied, maybe I will try mimi's chocolate  one this year.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 8

Here in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky (and down into North Eastern Tennessee) we have our own traditional Christmas cake, called the Blackberry Jam cake.

It's a dark, dense spice cake laced with blackberry jam along with raisins and nuts (usually walnuts) and frosted in a caramel icing.  People often make their jam cakes months ahead and mellow them sealed in a tin wrapped in cheesecloth soaked in blackberry or other wines.

My family has been making them for several generations.  Some people bake them as layer cakes, others in a angel food pan.  We use the angel food pan...I'm using the same pan my great-grandmother used to bake her jam cakes in.  #ChristmasTraditions

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 10 Nov 2015 , 3:31pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%