Basics (Genoise)

Baking By vanilla B Updated 9 Nov 2015 , 11:50pm by vanilla B

vanilla B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanilla B Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 14

heloo bakers ..

am ahome baker and am not soo professional but i hope some one could help me to learn ma basics very well 

i love using butter cream roses and pipnig decoration so i love genoise cake (sponge) recipe 

ma question is .. some ppl told me that the french propotions each egg takes 30 g of sugar +30 g of flour >>and some they told me egg takes 25 g of both >>pls tell me whats the right basic law because that helps me alot when i bake my genoise in different sizes of molds 

because in my openion the cups theory per each pan doesnt work for small baker and sensitive recipe like this .

thanx alot

13 replies
vanilla B Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 11:10am
post #2 of 14

no one answered??

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 14

Are talking about the genoise cake that has only three ingredients in it ? Eggs, flour, sugar?

Try this: 4 eggs, 3/4 cup of sugar,  1 cup of flour.  Make and bake this recipe in 8 inch round pan. See  if you like taste and texture. Then next time weight 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 cup of flour separately. Devide weight of sugar by 4 eggs.  Devide weight of flour by 4 eggs. Some experiment makes it easier to "understand" the recipe, make your own ratios, and make modifications to the recipe.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 14

What?  No melted butter?

Natka81 Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 14

Yeah Leah, one of my genoise cake recipes doesn't have melted butter and another does.

vanilla B Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 14

also my genoise doesnt contain butter un less you find the flour is not incroprated into the mixture 

vanilla B Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 14

so u have not heard about 30 grams rule ??

Natka81 Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 14

No, I haven't heard of such rule. My ratios for sugar are more than 30 grams of sugar per egg and for the flour less than 30 grams per egg. 

Natka81 Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 14

But proportion of sugar and proportion of flour both of them are never equal proportions  per one egg.

Maybe this rule applies to genoise recipe that has something else like butter or honey added to it?

vanilla B Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 14

5640a97856cdb.jpegthen would you help me to manipulate ma recipe according to ma pan ?? cause i have small oven i cant seperate ma recipe into two pans i used recipe like urs in 9 inch pan to make layered spong cake i made 3 layers with 12 eggs but i made them indivually .

Natka81 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 14

For this recipe of Genoise cake I never bake separate layers, because they have crust on both sides when they are baked separately  and it requires to use more syrup  to moist them. 

I don`t have odd size baking pans. Also I use 2" high baking pans and fill  them 3/4 high, which gives me full 2" high of cake layer  when they are baked, and  torte 2" high layer in 3 cake layers.

10" round- batter for 7 eggs + 1 flower nail

12" round- batter for 10 eggs + 2 flower nails

And so on...

vanilla B Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 14

i dont understand how did you find that ur 10 inch need 7 eggs and how much flour and sugar 

sorry sis i may confused you but thats ma question n the beggining i want to know to calculate how much for each egg to manipulate with pan sizes 

Natka81 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 14

How did I find out how much batter my 10" pan needed? It was practice.

So, did you weighted 3/4 cups of sugar and 1 cup of flour separately ?  What are your numbers? Did you divide those numbers by 4 eggs to figure our amount of each per one egg?

vanilla B Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 14

thank you soo much for answering me ..i learned alot frm you 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%