A Few Odd Questions!

Business By tessholly1 Updated 7 Nov 2015 , 8:19pm by Pastrybaglady

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have a few random questions that I can't find answers for online and would really appreciate if anyone could give me some answers..

- when your a home baker, after you wash your hands are you allowed to dry them with a hand towel or do you need to have something else in place?

- Is it ok to use my bathroom sink to wash my hands and my kitchen sink to wash up etc?

- Is it a good idea to have a separate bowl of hot soapy waste on a seperate work surface so I can wash my hands in there during baking (after cracking eggs etc) or should I walk to the bathroom every time?

- Iv heard somewhere that I need to be able to say how hot my cakes get and know this info off the top of my head, so I can prove that they are hot enough to kill any bacteria. So do my cakes get as hot as the thermometer inside the oven says?

TIA for any help :)

7 replies
tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 8

3rd question is supposed to be 'hot soapy water' lol!!

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 8

Oh and 1 more question.. Sorry!!

If you bake alone and get sick, you shouldn't be baking etc.. So do you cancel orders or should I try and have someone else (possibly a family member) trained up that can stand in for me??

costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 8

1. The health department here prefers paper towels for drying washed hands.

2. Yes, but I wash my hands in the kitchen sink all the time if it's just cleaning them from icing and stuff. After using the bathroom you would definitely not wash your hands int he kitchen sink, though.

3. No bowl of water, that doesn't include a rinse so there's no point to it.

4. If you bake at 350 degrees and really want to know how hot they get, use an instant-read thermometer a couple of times and test a cake as it's done and still sitting in the oven. That will give you an idea. But they do get hot enough to kill bacteria, that request seems to be a bit overkill...

5. If you're really sick you should probably cancel orders unless you know that the person you're handing it over to will do as good a job as you would.

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so so much, that's exactly what I needed!! Do you just keep a roll of paper towels by your hand basin or does it need to be on some kind of gadget on the wall?!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

gadget mounted on the wall for paper towels 

re: internal temps -- they get about 150-ish degrees for cheesecake and up to around 200 for cake/cupcakes -- internal temps for cooking egg whites is a bigger deal and the answer there is often 165 degrees -- but depends on the application too --

in a commercial facility when you re-enter the kitchen (to handle food) from anywhere the first thing you do is wash your hands -- even and especially if you just washed them in the bathroom -- don't know how that translates to a home set up but that's how it is here -- each jurisdiction has a different take on all this stuff -- what's super important in one place can be ho hum in the next --

also you remove your apron before using the rest room

so asking here on the boards is good -- asking your health department is best -- plus then they know you're taking it seriously too --

best to you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 7 Nov 2015 , 5:20pm
tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you K8memphis!!

Really good to know. Yes the trouble is that most of what Iv researched online to do with my area is about commercial kitchens and restaurants and not so much about home bakers, so I think your right, I will have the health department round and then they will tell me if I'm good to go or what I need to change to be legal. It's nice to get tips and tricks from other more experienced bakers to though so thank you :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 8

Our Health Dept guidelines in CA state if you use the bathroom you have to double wash.  Once in the bathroom and dry hands and then again in the kitchen drying hands with a paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%