How To Clean Work Surfaces?!

Business By tessholly1 Updated 18 Nov 2015 , 9:31pm by CakeBlessed

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 10:01am
post #1 of 14

I am a home baker and Im trying to get organised for my 1st visit from EHO.. I read somewhere that if you use dish cloths to wipe down work surfaces then they must be regularly cleaned (boiled) or you can use disposable cloths. I feel like antibacterial wipes aren't sufficient, so I use a food safe 'Dettol' spray and a cloth but Iv never boiled the cloths.. Should I be doing this and if so how do I go about it?! Any tips or opinions would be appreciated!!

13 replies
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 11:05am
post #2 of 14

Through them in the washing machine at 60 or 90'c together with your towels and bed sheets?

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you.. Yes thats a good idea, but would I need to wash them every single day for them to be as clean as they should?! If so it seems a bit silly to do a full 90'c wash just for one cloth every night.. Especially if I don't have any other laundry to put in with it!!

costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 14

I'd just use disposable ones.

tessholly1 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 14

Disposable as in a packet of antibacterial kitchen wipes?

julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 14

No, not every day! Buy a pack of 10 or so and then boil them once you are through.

johnson6ofus Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 14

I used a plastic wastebasket. Get two bundles of the cloths. As I use them, and they are wet, I drape them over the top edges of the wastebasket to dry (avoid mold). Once they are dry, I drop them in the basket and drape the next wet "used" on one the edge. Until I run out. Then I run the bleach/ sanitary/ hot cycle and wash them---- start over. 

I am home based, as this basket just stays in the laundry room which is right next to the kitchen. As I take out the trash, I hang the used cloths. Just a daily habit. 

tessholly1 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:23am
post #8 of 14

Thank you johnson6ofus.. That's a brilliant idea, I think I might steal that one!!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 14

I use detol spray and kitchen roll...just throw them away when done :-)

johnson6ofus Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 14

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 14

@tessholly1  When I say "disposable" I mean paper towels that can be thrown away. The Health department here prefers that to washable ones.

Webake2gether Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 14

I use paper towel as well. Bc my commercial kitchen is in my home without a separate washing machine I prefer to use paper towel. i have a roll that I keep under my work table for quick reach for spills etc. and keep my cleaners in a separate space (our second bathroom but now we call it the janitors closet). here we are not to use common use towels there has to be a 2 bucket system in place with both having the proper chemicals in them  also the washing and drying cannot be done with any of our personal laundry. So to save myself the headache I use paper towel. Plus it is just my husband and I so it's not like we have 15 employees using paper towel so it's still economical and not much waste. Oh and we have to use specific type brushes to wash our dishes no towels. But this is Illinois and it's different t from place to place  what is required  

Shockolata Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 14

The 60oC wash is not enough to kill bacteria. Do not wash towels and cloths in that temperature. Besides, the 90-95 degree wash takes less time to wash clothes ;)

CakeBlessed Posted 18 Nov 2015 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 14

I use the disposable Lysol wipes and then go back and spray with my mixture of bleach water and let that air dry. Thats at clean up when I'm finished. Before I start another project, I use another Lysol wipe but no bleach.

Quote by @%username% on %date%