Help Please With This Bow??

Decorating By Cakeartist5523 Updated 7 Nov 2015 , 5:03pm by julia1812

Cakeartist5523 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:25am
post #1 of 6

A friend has asked me to duplicate this bow and I have no idea where to begin.  I googled fondant bows and cant find one like it.  Can anyone help me duplicate this amazing bow?  I am also wondering what the bling on the bow is made of?  Anyone know of a site I can purchase it?  I'm feeling lost.  Any help or advice would be so wonderful!!! Thank you!!

563d99458b1fa.jpeg

5 replies
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 11:13am
post #2 of 6

Hope I can explain well enough what I would do...

So when you make a bow you cut a strip of fondant, then fold both ends to meet in the middle, turn it in fold down the middle bit where the knot is, right. Now wits this bow you need to cut the fondant much taller and fold it multiple times before folding the ends to the middle. Same with the fondant strip for the knot and the loose strings hanging down. 

No help with the bling bling piece. Maybe isomalts? ??

julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 11:14am
post #3 of 6

I actually thing the bling piece is not edible as they also used rhinestone ribbon around the cake.

Cakeartist5523 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your help.   I think I understand what you are explaining .  Its like pleating, I'm just curious how to keep the bow from folding in half. It is so big lol!!

I'm going to have to do some practicing on this one.  Thanks again for the help!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

for that look you might even want to use multiple lengths/pieces of fondant rather than one piece like you would for fabric -- multiple lengths that will over lap in the final piece -- see where you can lay a separate piece folded on top of a previous fold? think of it that way too -- you might go crazy trying to get fondant to cooperate with all those different directions -- just look where you can cover up the join --

there are five folds on each side -- the bottom two appear to be one piece -- the middle one on each side has a turn of direction in it then the top two could each be separate pieces --

the ribbons hanging down might be done the same way  -- in fact if you look at the ribbon on the left -- the top folded piece definitely has been placed on top of the 'ribbon' underneath  -- the hanging ribbons have three folds on the right side and five on the other -- probably the extra piece was added because the bottom fold was too wide or on the side with three folds it came out perfect and they couldn't add the other two folds --

how's that for over thinking raising_hand.png but that's where you (meaning me) go to copy a cake exactly

that's a scrumptious bow and gorgeous cake

julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

Yes like pleating. That's what I meant.  And you'll definitely wanna mix in some cmc or tylose or even do a 50:50 mix with gum paste. I'd then bend it into shape and stuff loops with  cling film until it's dry and stiff enough to hold shape by itself. 

Thought it might be done in sections as k8 mentioned. See how it works for you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%