Would It Be The End Of The World If...?

Baking By LouisNutri Updated 10 Nov 2015 , 10:53pm by MKC

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 4:51am
post #1 of 8

Would it be the end of the world if I use salted butter in place of unsalted butter and NOT add salt to the batter? I've read articles claiming that unsalted butter + salt would be better, but how much better is it? Is there really a huge gap of flavor between using salted butter vs unsalted butter? Good quality unsalted butter costs $5.44/200g (not even 225g!) in my country, and so I've never really tried using them...

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 4:57am
post #2 of 8

I find salted butter too  salty to be used alone. If the recipe calls for MORE than a pinch of salt you could try a 1:2 mix.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 5:00am
post #3 of 8

Or use margarine instead of butter. 

There are also recipes which use oil...

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 3:36am
post #4 of 8

I never use unsalted butter. No matter what the recipe says. I have never had any complaints about things being salty.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 8

The salt in salted butter is very little, I use them interchangeably and no difference in cakes,cookies, or icings.

Lagasse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lagasse Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 8

I've always used salted butter and have never had any complaints about my baked goods being salty.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 8

I only use salted butter when the recipe I have does not include salt. I also use salted butter in icing so that the icing will not be as sweet. Like someone said, I don't think there is a whole lot of salt in the salted butter to really make that big of a difference. 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8

I only us salted butter when the recipe calls for salt. I made a recipe that did not include salt one day and it was not very pleasant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%