Do I Need Supports For This Type Of Cake

Baking By smile22 Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 12:50pm by smile22

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

so i dont really do much in terms of cake the only cakes i make usualy are single layer or crumb or bunt type cakes.  I saw this photo of a cake that looks super easy to make 

its a cake that is frosted in buttercream then has ganache on top that is dripping down the sides of the cake  simple cake i figured i could pipe around the bottom and top maybe sprinkle the sides or on top maybe a few waffle cones pieces dipped in chocolate on top 

i have the deep 9 inch wilton pan i was thinking making two cakes in that cutting them in half so i would have 4 layers i would fill each layer with chocolate mousse ice in white buttercream and then do a semi sweet ganache or bittersweet ganache on top  for a cake that size would i need any type of supports?

its a birthday cake for my dad and not a cilent so  dont have to have it super perfect but i dont want it to fall apart in transporting it 

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 1:22am
post #2 of 5

If it's a single tier you don't need any supports.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 8:26am
post #3 of 5

Yes, a single tier doesn't generally need supports unless it's more than 6" high.

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 6 Nov 2015 , 8:26am
smile22 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 5

yes it it will be a single tier 4 layers i am doing two cakes in the wilton deep round pan i think its 9 inches its the pan that a whole box of cake mix will fit and bake into it 

smile22 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

also should i let the cake crust before putting the ganache on top i dont want to melt the buttercream with the chocolate or should i let ganche get to room temp but still pourable 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%