Licensing Your Cake Images

Business By Jenny552 Updated 5 Nov 2015 , 8:51am by Snowflakebunny23

Jenny552 Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 6

I have been approached by a magazine about letting them use a couple of cake images. Does anyone have experience with licensing photos and can advise on how to price this?


5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

no i don't -- just wanna say congratulations on that


costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

It would depend what they're using them for and how often. You could do a per-use charge or a flat fee, which is more common. Fine Art America has some information on basic licensing fees when you upload images, and the base rates range from $100 to $150 depending on whether they're using it in advertising, on packaging, etc. 

A lot of magazines expect photos for free, though, so are you sure they want to pay you? Cake magazines, especially, don't generally pay for that kind of use of a cake photo. If you want to send me a private message with more details I might be able to help further depending on what the specifics are.

Jenny552 Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both!

julia1812 Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 7:00am
post #5 of 6

Are you allowed to put a watermark on your cake?

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 8:51am
post #6 of 6

Any magazines I have had pictures in will credit my business so I take that as 'payment' if you will.  It's great advertising...and you can say that your cakes have been featured in. x, y and z.  I personally don't think they would pay you if it is a bridal mag etc because they don't need to...many bakers would give them the pictures for free.  If they wanted to pay for them, they could just buy a royalty free stock image.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%