Cake Doctor Brand Mix

Baking By amandagregoryyy Updated 5 Nov 2015 , 2:10am by amandagregoryyy

amandagregoryyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandagregoryyy Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys. I recently purchased the Cake Mix Doctor book and I would love to try out the recipes but I'm co fused at to what brand of mixes are 18 oz? Usually I see most that are 15. Would it really make a difference if I don't use one that has the amount of mix exactly? For those of you who follow her recipes let me know what you do. Thanks! :) 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

i have heard or read that the 15 oz cake mixes work ok in her recipes -- what i would do is add 3 oz of cake mix from another box -- i've only used her melted ice cream cake -- it's wonderful

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 5

You can just buy an extra box and add enough to bring each mix up to 18.25 ounces (one box of mix will fix 5 others).

I've also seen people just adding the needed amount of self-rising flour to make up the difference. 

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 5

All the cake mixes have shrunk recently, since the book was published.  I think her website has suggestions for how to make up the difference.

Sort of how ice cream used to come in 1/2 gallon containers, then 1.75 quarts, and now most are down to 1.5 quarts.  They think you'll notice the size shrinking less than you'll notice a price increase.

I have an old pumpkin cake recipe that refers to a "16 oz" can of pumpkin, but now the closest size is 15 oz (which still works).

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 4 Nov 2015 , 11:07pm
amandagregoryyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandagregoryyy Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 2:10am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I was able to get the cake mix doctors advice once I pulled up the website. Go figure lol. She says to just whisk in 6 Tablespoons of all purpose flour to the mix.  She says it adds body to the cake and prevents it from shrinking when cooled :D Yay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%