Travel Signs...how Would You Do It?

Decorating By TheDoughHo Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm by -K8memphis

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:44am
post #1 of 6

Eloping couple ordered a 9" buttercream cake with a travel sign pole in it. I was going to use a dowel wrapped in fondant to make the pole...but no idea how best to get the signs to stick. Make them of fondant? 

Can't have them falling off! Suggestions?

56381fa005a47.jpeg

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 6:40am
post #2 of 6

Make the signs out of a 50:50 gum paste/:fondant mix, dry them first and then attach them with edible glue. If the signs are thin (light) enough it will be no problem to attach them

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 6

Melted white chocolate will stick them on and dry like cement.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

if you wanted an edible pole you could dip a pretzel rod into the melted choco already suggested

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

GAH! I wish I had checked this before making the pole! I lOVE the pretzel idea! Well...I drilled a hole and put a dowel in. I'm really bad at smoothly covering a dowel, it always looks lumpy from trying to roll it. Any tips?

I also did the 50/50 fondant-gum paste for the signs. About to attach them. Wish me luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

best to you! i mean if you run into difficulty you could even use a wire or embroidery thread for insurance -- wind it one from one side down and up the other side and over -- side to side and have it make a little 'x' where it crosses in front -- would add to the eccentricity of the sign

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%