Travel Signs...how Would You Do It?

Decorating By TheDoughHo Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm by -K8memphis

TheDoughHo Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:44am
post #1 of 6

Eloping couple ordered a 9" buttercream cake with a travel sign pole in it. I was going to use a dowel wrapped in fondant to make the pole...but no idea how best to get the signs to stick. Make them of fondant? 

Can't have them falling off! Suggestions?

56381fa005a47.jpeg

5 replies
julia1812 Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 6:40am
post #2 of 6

Make the signs out of a 50:50 gum paste/:fondant mix, dry them first and then attach them with edible glue. If the signs are thin (light) enough it will be no problem to attach them

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 6

Melted white chocolate will stick them on and dry like cement.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

if you wanted an edible pole you could dip a pretzel rod into the melted choco already suggested

TheDoughHo Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

GAH! I wish I had checked this before making the pole! I lOVE the pretzel idea! Well...I drilled a hole and put a dowel in. I'm really bad at smoothly covering a dowel, it always looks lumpy from trying to roll it. Any tips?

I also did the 50/50 fondant-gum paste for the signs. About to attach them. Wish me luck!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

best to you! i mean if you run into difficulty you could even use a wire or embroidery thread for insurance -- wind it one from one side down and up the other side and over -- side to side and have it make a little 'x' where it crosses in front -- would add to the eccentricity of the sign

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%