Molding Chocolates

Decorating By kitten1021 Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 4:10am by Dzrt-Bkr

kitten1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten1021 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello friends,

i am somewhat new to making chocolates using molds. I've been using the Wilton candy melts and I have two questions. First some of them have stuck a bit to the molds. Is there something I should coat the molds with to help this not to happen? 

Second, they coming out dull not shiny or glossy. Is there a way to make them not come out dull? I heard you could add some kind of wax to the melted chocolate however I don't know if that's true or what kind of wax or how much would be added.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. 

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 5

Kitten, your chocolate shouldn't be sticking. But the molds must be absolutely clean when you start. If they're scratched at all the chocolate tends to stick.

If you put the filled molds in the freezer, they tend to come out dull. They're usually shiny out of the fridge. There is a confectionery shellac that you can coat your candy with and they'll be VERY shiny. I used to get it from KitchenKrafts.com .

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure just how much chocolate is in Wilton candy melts, but if you use real chocolate, it needs to be tempered (not just melted) before being molded. That way it will shine.

kitten1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten1021 Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 3:42am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both so much for the great advice and help

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 4:10am
post #5 of 5

For me, wilton candy melts are by far the worst for molds.(and anything else) The finish will be dull/flat/powdery etc and will stick because there is so much "stuff" in their product!....adding paramount crystals or oil will not help. Try Merkens. I only used it once but the result was ok....OR MakenMold. I don't know that one but its worth a try maybe. Ghiradelli  chips, white or chocolate, are duable if you don't want to temper your chocolate...that's a completely different animal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%