Help With This Cookie Recipe Please

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 1 Nov 2015 , 8:56pm by -K8memphis

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I got this recipe from my sister since I couldn't find my grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. I don't recall putting in oil when making them with my grandmother.This recipe is what my sister has for our grandmother's recipe. Does this seem right?

1 C butter
1 C veg, oil
1 C granulated sugar
1 C confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 C all-purpose flour - sifted
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tarter

In large mixing bowl cream butter, oil & the sugars. Stir in vanilla and eggs. Sift together dry ingredients and stir dry ingredients gradually into liquid mixture. Refrigerate dough several hours. Shape into balls 1 1/2 inches and roll in granulated sugar. Place balls on greased cookie sheet & lightly press twice with fork to flatten. Bake @ 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

Is it possible that my sister read "oleo" as oil? (Oleo is a brand of margarine my grandma used in almost all her cookies).

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 30 Oct 2015 , 2:37pm
10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 11

I don't bake a lot of cookies, but that does seem to be a whole lot of fat for only 41/2 cups of flour.

BUT.....

A quick google search turned up the exact same recipe as "Amish Sugar Cookies".....

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/amish-sugar-cookies

and also the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond has the same recipe as well.  According to Ree this is "a widely-circulated recipe frequently passed down through the generations of many an American family".

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-sugar-cookies/

So, maybe this is the recipe she used.  You'd probably have to try a batch and see.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 30 Oct 2015 , 3:31pm
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 11
craftybanana2 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for clearing it up! I did a search, but didn't find ones with oil. My memory of these is from fifteen years ago, so a bit fuzzy. The fat content itself isn't bad, but it was just the fact that it used oil since all my other cookies use butter and no oil, so I thought it may have been a typo.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11

wow -- do they come out soft?

these would be great to make with coconut 'shortening' instead of the oil -- i try to use it in things but it doesn't always turn out -- it's half liquid at (summer time) room temp -- and it's 'sposed to be real good for you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 30 Oct 2015 , 7:25pm
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 11

So apparently the sight ate my comment. 

Could it be 1 cup butter OR 1 cup oil? That's a lot of oil if it truly calls for both  

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 11

bbc -- check jeff's post up there, #2

and to answer my own question seems they come out crispy and light -- they look great

craftybanana2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

@-K8memphis  I'm not sure if they came out soft or not, I do remember them being slightly cripsy. We would mark it with a fork and sprinkle sugar on before baking. I will hopefully be making these soon as I need to make cookies for an event soon. :)

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 11

thank you cb2 -- with the sugar on top the crust will at least be a little crispy -- they looked crispy in the pictures i saw -- baked up thin -- if you get a chance update me/us when you make them

best bakin' 2u

craftybanana2 Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 11

@-K8memphis The cookies had that slightly crispy outside yet soft inside. They were very light, yet not too crumbly. I didn't make them thin, I squished down a 1.5T scoop with a fork. The dough is very soft, so refrigeration is a must. I may play with it and make a peanut butter version.

I will add coconut oil on my list to make it with too.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 1 Nov 2015 , 7:49pm
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 11

ooh that sounds goood! thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%