Help With This Cookie Recipe Please

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 1 Nov 2015 , 8:56pm by -K8memphis

craftybanana2 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 11

I got this recipe from my sister since I couldn't find my grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. I don't recall putting in oil when making them with my grandmother.This recipe is what my sister has for our grandmother's recipe. Does this seem right?

1 C butter
1 C veg, oil
1 C granulated sugar
1 C confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 C all-purpose flour - sifted
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tarter

In large mixing bowl cream butter, oil & the sugars. Stir in vanilla and eggs. Sift together dry ingredients and stir dry ingredients gradually into liquid mixture. Refrigerate dough several hours. Shape into balls 1 1/2 inches and roll in granulated sugar. Place balls on greased cookie sheet & lightly press twice with fork to flatten. Bake @ 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

Is it possible that my sister read "oleo" as oil? (Oleo is a brand of margarine my grandma used in almost all her cookies).

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 30 Oct 2015 , 2:37pm
10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 11

I don't bake a lot of cookies, but that does seem to be a whole lot of fat for only 41/2 cups of flour.

A quick google search turned up the exact same recipe as "Amish Sugar Cookies".....

and also the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond has the same recipe as well.  According to Ree this is "a widely-circulated recipe frequently passed down through the generations of many an American family".

So, maybe this is the recipe she used.  You'd probably have to try a batch and see.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 30 Oct 2015 , 3:31pm
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 11
craftybanana2 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for clearing it up! I did a search, but didn't find ones with oil. My memory of these is from fifteen years ago, so a bit fuzzy. The fat content itself isn't bad, but it was just the fact that it used oil since all my other cookies use butter and no oil, so I thought it may have been a typo.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11

wow -- do they come out soft?

these would be great to make with coconut 'shortening' instead of the oil -- i try to use it in things but it doesn't always turn out -- it's half liquid at (summer time) room temp -- and it's 'sposed to be real good for you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 30 Oct 2015 , 7:25pm
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 11

So apparently the sight ate my comment. 

Could it be 1 cup butter OR 1 cup oil? That's a lot of oil if it truly calls for both  

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 11

bbc -- check jeff's post up there, #2

and to answer my own question seems they come out crispy and light -- they look great

craftybanana2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

@-K8memphis  I'm not sure if they came out soft or not, I do remember them being slightly cripsy. We would mark it with a fork and sprinkle sugar on before baking. I will hopefully be making these soon as I need to make cookies for an event soon. :)

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 11

thank you cb2 -- with the sugar on top the crust will at least be a little crispy -- they looked crispy in the pictures i saw -- baked up thin -- if you get a chance update me/us when you make them

best bakin' 2u

craftybanana2 Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 11

@-K8memphis The cookies had that slightly crispy outside yet soft inside. They were very light, yet not too crumbly. I didn't make them thin, I squished down a 1.5T scoop with a fork. The dough is very soft, so refrigeration is a must. I may play with it and make a peanut butter version.

I will add coconut oil on my list to make it with too.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 1 Nov 2015 , 7:49pm
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 11

ooh that sounds goood! thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%