Diamond Dust

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 9 Nov 2015 , 8:21pm by maybenot

lkern777 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used Diamond Dust? What is the difference in it and Disco Dust?

Is diamond dust edible, or just non-toxic?

Thanks!

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 10

It says here that it's non-toxic and meant to be used on non-edible things, so I assume it's not meant to be put on fondant on the cake directly. http://www.fondantsource.com/sparkledust.html

maybenot Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 6:55am
post #3 of 10

Diamond dust is not edible.  It's for use only on decorations that can, and will, be removed.

The simple way to look at it is that the term "non-toxic" is never used to describe food.  It's used to describe arts & craft materials and cleaning products.  So, if something is non-toxic, or "for decoration only", then it's not to be eaten.  Edible products will have a list of edible ingredients. 

Glitters like disco dust, pixie dust, diamond dust, and twinkle dust are merely plastic craft glitters that aren't approved as additives to food [and when applied to food, it constitutes adulteration].

lkern777 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks! I thought that was the case.

Is there an edible gold product that can be sprinkled on cupcakes? I know there are sugars, but they have such a large grain. I am looking for more of a dust.

costumeczar Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 10

I don't know about that, it's probably okay but i don't know how shiny it would be. It doesn't look like the Wilton edible glitter,which is flakes of gum arabic and food coloring.

Here's a comparison of some edible glitters I did recently. The Rainbow Dust was the flattest texture-wise, sanding sugar was the shiniest, but it had a rough texture. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2015/10/cake-glitter-comparisons.html

*Last edited by costumeczar on 31 Oct 2015 , 7:20pm
lkern777 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks!

maybenot Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 12:14am
post #8 of 10

Shimmer dust is just finely ground cake sparkles [gum arabic].  If you want to use gum arabic, you can buy it in bulk a lot cheaper and grind it thru a tea strainer with the handle of a knife.

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 2:30am
post #9 of 10

@maybenot  ...Have you ever worked with gum arabic specifically? I'd be interested in experimenting with it but maybe you know already and can save some time. Does it act like any other gum where you can make a colored paste from it and cook it out then grind it up? I've done that with tylose and the Wilton Gum-tex but since all the edible glitters use the gum arabic as the base maybe that would be the best one. But its the mica in it that makes it shiny, right? I have to go look at the ingredient list on the Rainbow Dust now!

maybenot Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 10

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have made Lindy Smith's recipe [http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/08/08/making-edible-metallic-glitter-a-recipe/] using gum arabic, but never your recipe using tylose or gum tex.

The gum arabic glitter is pretty light and fragile, so my guess is that the tylose or gum tex product is actually more sturdy. 

Lindy is adding edible metallic dust, so yes, that would likely have mica in it.  The mica would make it opaque, but reflective.  Without adding a dust--just gel/paste color--the product is transparent and shiny, but not reflective.

Hope that helps a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%