Coloring Smbc

Decorating By LouisNutri Updated 30 Oct 2015 , 2:12am by costumeczar

LouisNutri Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 12:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi! I'm just wondering if you guys use regular Americolor or Chefmaster gel paste color or do you do something special for your SMBC to achieve a certain color? I saw a video in YouTube about coloring SMBCs, but I haven't actually tried coloring SMBC.

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 12:30am
post #2 of 4

I use oil-based candy colors when I need to color meringue buttercreams, it takes it better in my experience.

LouisNutri Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 1:27am
post #3 of 4

@costumeczar  I see, yes. The video suggested candy colors or Flo-Coat. I always thought these are for when coloring chocolates only because I've only seen them being used in chocolate videos I've watched. Does candy colors have a wide variety of color shades just like regular gel colors? Also, is it not possible to just use melted shortening + gel paste color for coloring SMBC?

*Last edited by LouisNutri on 30 Oct 2015 , 1:57am
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:12am
post #4 of 4

Candy colors are oil-soluble, and most regular food colorings are water-soluble. With the high butter content in meringue buttercreams the oil-based colors work better because they're formulated for use with oil-based applications.  They disperse better and stay in the buttercream better than water-based colors because they emulsify better. I've used regular water-based colors in meringue buttercreams, and you reach a point where the color actually starts to bead up on the surface of the cake since the oils in the buttercream "resist" the color, so to speak.

I'm sure there are candy colors in a range of shades, but I don't use them enough to know for sure. The ones that I've seen are petty basic. However, there is this product called Flo-coat that basically lets you convert a gel to a candy color. I don't know if it works the same way in meringue buttercreams but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%