Minion 3D Cake How Much Batter?

Baking By Grammy_Cakes08 Updated 3 Nov 2015 , 12:25am by Grammy_Cakes08

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 6

Hey ya'll my grandson's turning 8 and I wanted to surprise him and make him a 3 d minion cake since he's crazy about the minions! Anyway I plan on using 3-6" round pans 2" deep, plus a sports ball pan, what I wanted to know is how much cake mix would I need? How long should I bake for and how should I arrange all the pans in the oven? Please help! Thank you:)

5 replies
CindiM Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 6

Just put water in each pan and measure it.  All 3 6" and one sports ball pan should fit on one shelf in the oven.  

AmyL Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:04am
post #3 of 6

I made one a couple of weeks ago. Double batch in 6" x 3 and it was perfect, just rounded off the top edge of top cake.

Magda_MI Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

This chart is useful for standard sized cake pans.  For the ball, just measure how much water it holds, as mentioned above, and use somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 that much.

mattyeatscakes Posted 2 Nov 2015 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 6

you can get away with just using 2 - 2" x 6" cakes plus half a ball pan. no dowels needed (just put a bubble tea/milk shake straw straight through the cakes when before icing to give it more stability).  you would still be able to get a cute minion cake :) 

if you are using 3 - 2"x6" cakes plus a half ball pan, then you would need to put a dowel on the first two 6" cakes, and then place the 6" cake and half ball on a cake board and stack it to the bottom half of the minion cake. you would get more servings this way.

good luck :)

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

Thanks a lot for all your help ya'll, sorry it took awhile to reply but I'm still trying to get the hang of this dang internet I always have to get one of the grandkids to help me out lol. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%