Transport 2 Tier Wedding Cake.

Business By Samm09 Updated 29 Oct 2015 , 2:26am by Singerssoul

Samm09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samm09 Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 3

I am making my friends wedding cake which is 2 tiers (2 x  6" for top & 2 x 9" for bottom) & need to transport it about 40 minutes away.

What's the safest way to transport it?

Any other advice?

Also is 4 dowels in the bottom tier & 1 big one in the middle enough to keep it stable?

Thanks in advance.

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 1:49am
post #2 of 3

If you make sure they're cold when you deliver them you probably don't need a center dowel. I never use one, I deliver everything cold and nothing has ever shifted. 

Put them in a box (just a brown moving box from Staples is fine) and use a piece of non-skid carpet padding on the bottom to keep them from moving around in the box. Put some more of the non-skid pad under the box in the car (a flat area, not on the back seat obviously) to keep them from sliding around and you should be fine.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 2:26am
post #3 of 3

I second the cold cake transport.  But rather than use a cardboard box, I purchased a large clear plastic storage box that a bit of room at the top from Target. The box had a locking lid, and I actually turned it upside down, using the lid as the bottom.   I lined the lid with two blanket ice packs covered with a light kitchen towel and then the cake on top.  I also had ice blankets around the sides to about half way up and one on top on the outside of the box.  I then covered the whole box with a large white cotton sheet to help protect from the sun. (I was delivering a 2 tired cake 6" and  10" on a 14" cake board). Cake stayed cold and perfect despite the 106 degree heat, a car without air conditioning, and inadvertently having to take a very bumpy dirt road, due to GPS being off.  

On a side note I hit a local auction last year, where I purchase Ice Cream vendor bags that are usually used for the walk around vendor ice cream sellers. These actually came specifically from Candlestick park.   I lucked out and got 8 of them in two sizes for about 5 bucks each.  Anytime I am delivering cupcakes/small cakes/small items that need to stay cool, I use the bags. They work great! In addition to deliveries, I use them to keep my cakes/cupcakes cool at shows and farmers markets.  With those, I add ice blankets which extends them to lasting 4 to 5 hours in well over 100 degree heat.  It is possible to buy the bags new for a bit more, but knowing what I know now, I would find them an excellent investment.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%