Car Cake Measurements

Decorating By Oriana28 Updated 29 Oct 2015 , 1:37pm by julia1812

Oriana28 Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 4

I will be doing a Volkswagen Golf mk5 cake. When I divided the measurements by 10, I realized that in order for the car to be 16 inches in length, the width would be 6.9 inches and the height would be 5.7 inches. I think that the width and height would be a bit too small compared to the length. What measurements would you use/what would you do? I need the car to look as realistic as possible.

Thank you!

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 11:11am
post #2 of 4

Cars are longer and narrower than people think, so if that's what you're getting that's what it should be if you want the right proportions. Can you make it longer as well as wider? When I do 3D cakes I don't bother with the serving count as much as with getting proportions right, so you might have to make more cake than you need to get it to be a decent size.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 4

that sounds about right for the online images of that car that i saw -- what I try to do is get front, back, side and aerial views all in the same proportion and i just measure the photo and multiply -- interesting that you got the real dimensions and divided -- there's no wrong way -- but that's a long little car -- your figures sound about right -- sometimes i go to the car dealership and get one of their books to get all the facts & figures but looking online --

but you can add add an inch or so as you get into it further -- it'll be easier to tell when you get the cakes stacked up but you don't want to get your headlights & windows & stuff like bumpers out of proportion either if you make those in advance

another idea is to get another model and redo your figures

or subtract an inch of the length of the car 

but get/work up a second opinion for your peace of mind

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 29 Oct 2015 , 12:23pm
julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 4

If you want it to look realistic your measurements are about correct. 16.5 length, 6.4 width and 5.8 height.

When I do a car cake I like to check on the manufacturer's website for the exact measurements. It's a bit anal I know, but I think worth the small effort. 

You can also find them here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%