Frosting.

Baking By kimmie2426 Updated 28 Oct 2015 , 4:15am by julia1812

kimmie2426 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmie2426 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have a frosting recipe that I use all the time, but I know I can make it better, someonr knows a better recipe. 

Mines is :

emuls. Shortening

confectioners sugar 

extract

Im a young baker and I really love it, but I really need to get some recipe fix.

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 4

There are so many frosting recipes as well as different kinds of buttercream.  If you want "better" it depends on what you're looking for.  What you are using is very durable for hot and humid weather and great for piping but probably could taste better.  The addition of real butter would make a huge difference in the taste and some heavy cream would give you a nicer mouth feel.  I personally am addicted to Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  It's more work but so worth it in my opinion.  You can do a search here or google for recipes, but again there will be a ton of recipes for that as well.  Just gotta dive in and try some!  Here are some of the different kinds of buttercream for your research: American, Swiss Meringue, Italian Meringue, French, Cream Cheese, Cooked Flour or Ermine, Indydebi's on this site and Earlene's are some of the most popular.

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 2:18am
post #3 of 4

I agree-don't be afraid to try new recipes- especially recipes you can find on this site. I've been happy with almost every recipe here. My favorite is Indydeb's-my customers really seem to love it as well. Try new icings to go with different kinds of cakes too- it's nice to have that variety. :-)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 4:15am
post #4 of 4

^^^true One thing I could change straight away: NO shortening, use real butter and try and skip the extract. There are so many ways to flavor bc natural: real vanilla, melted chocolate, fruit puree etc. I'm not a big fan of American buttercream and prefer European bc like swiss meringue buttercream, but that's a personal preference...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%