High Humidity Buttercream! Help!

Decorating By GuadasCakes21 Updated 29 Oct 2015 , 5:26pm by dkltll

GuadasCakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuadasCakes21 Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 7:24am
post #1 of 11

I've been making wilton bc icing, but since I live in Houston, TX it is very humid. So to compensate I add cornstarch to my icing. I feel like I can taste it in the icing and I just don't like it. What other method can I use to make bc? Or what can I substitute the cornstarch for? Please help! I need to be able to make bc without it melting!

10 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 11

I live in South Carolina and deal with the same issue.  Instead of corn starch, I add up to 2 teaspoons of meringue powder.  It does not affect the taste at all and helps crusting.  I have also learned that I need to make it as stiff as I can.  If you come across any other tips, please let me know!  Humidity and buttercream just don't mix!

GuadasCakes21 Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

Oh also which frosting do you prefer taste wise , buttercream or whipped cream? 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 3:35am
post #4 of 11

GuadasCakes21~~Buttercream or whipped cream are two very different frostings, with very different options for decorating/piping, etc.  Many people prefer the taste of whipped cream frostings (Pastry Pride is an excellent non-dairy product), but it severely limits your decorating choices.  You can not combine fondant and whipped cream.

Indydebi, a long-time, very helpful member of CakeCentral provided this recipe which is my go-to recipe for outside/hot/humid days. 

INDYDEBI BUTTERCREAM

Double Batch Recipe:

2-2/3 cups shortening

2/3 to 1 cup milk (depending on consistency needed)
6 TBSP Dream Whip
4-6 TBSP clear vanilla (or almond/lemon extract)
4 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

Beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla (or extract) for 10-15 minutes BEFORE adding the powdered sugar. Excellent for hot/humid climates.

IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

Single Recipe:

1-1/3 cups shortening

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk (depending on consistency needed)
3 TBSP Dream Whip
2-3 TBSP vanilla (or almond/lemon extract)
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

GuadasCakes21 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 3:48am
post #5 of 11

Do you use a stand mixer or hand mixer, I'm just asking since the recipe says to beat the ingredients 10-15 minutes.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 6:25am
post #6 of 11

Why don't you try flour buttercream?

GuadasCakes21 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 6:38am
post #7 of 11

If I add flour to my buttercream do I need to add anything else?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 7:33am
post #8 of 11

Sorry...I didn't explain. There is something similar to buttercream called "cooked flour frosting". There are recipes here on cc and also on the Internet. www.southernfood.about.com has a great tutorial with pictures. It used 3T flour, 1c milk, 1c caster sugar, 1c unsalted butter. It doesn't taste like flour although obviously it uses some and is really smooth and - most important - withstands high temperatures. Maybe it's worth giving it a try...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 11

I use a stand mixer.  I have a KitchenAid Pro 600 bowl lift and a KitchenAid Artisan tilt-head lift.   If you don't already own a stand mixer, you really need to get one.  I'd never owned (or known anyone who owned!) a stand mixer for the first 55 years of my life.  Then..... I discovered cake decorating. 

This is actually the best time of year to purchase a stand mixer because of the sales on Black Friday.  Another alternative is to buy a slightly used KA from Craigslist.

GuadasCakes21 Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 11

Julia1812- does the frosting feel grainy? Just curious since the recipe calls for caster sugar.

Apti- I do have a stand mixer, thanks for clarifying that for me, I will try that recipe soon.

Cutiger- I tried the wilton bc and used the merengue powder instead of the cornstarch, and the consistency was great and it tastes so much better.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 11

I live in Florida and I use Meringue Powder as well. HTH 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%