Beginner Cake Decorator... Advice And Critiques Wanted

Decorating By Mikayla1006 Updated 30 Oct 2015 , 3:12am by Mikayla1006

Mikayla1006 Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 9

I am very very new to the world of cake decorating (started in May of this year) and I just made my first "big" cake. It was for my brother's birthday party. I would love to hear your thoughts about what I could do better and how to improve. This was my first attempt at a tiered cake. Each tier was covered in homemade MMF and then the cracks between tiers were filled with a buttercream boarder. Logo, streamers, and banner were made out of 50/50. I know I needed to cover the cake board under the bottom layer to prevent grease stains but i forgot to do that... I got inspiration for the cake from a picture online but I tweaked it a little... Thanks for the help and advice!

Mikayla562be05f5c38e.jpeg 

*Last edited by Mikayla1006 on 24 Oct 2015 , 7:50pm
8 replies
RobertBarnett Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 1:27am
post #2 of 9

I think it looks pretty damn good considering you started in May. Good job, bravo!

robert

Mikayla1006 Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 5:09am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much RobertBarnett!

CoinUK Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 9

Excellent work, especially considering how short a time you've been doing it! I wish my cakes had looked that good after such a short amount of time!

Only advice I'll give is to keep at it! You'll be your own worst critic at times and that's good. It's that desire for perfection that drives us on and the the practice is what will improve your work. I can honestly say I've learnt something from every cake I've done, even if it's just what didn't work! :D

Keep it up and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff :)

cutiger Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

Agree completely with the other responses!  I learn from every cake I do and you will as well.  Each cake you make will be better than the last one...it is all in the practice.  There is just something about cake decorators that makes us perfectionists trying to make the perfect cake...remember to be kind to yourself!

costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 9

My advice is to ignore anyone who says that something HAS to be done one way, or that there's a standard for anything. Depending on where you are in the world people use different materials, have different ideas about how you "should" do things, and will tell you that you did this or that "wrong" and you have to do it this way instead. There's a difference between someone saying "here's another way to do this" and "this is how it has to be done to be right." It's cake, not brain surgery, so have fun with it.

Narie Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with all of the above, very nice.  If you don't have them yet, get some fondant smoothers.   The right angle ones will help you get a sharper edge between the side and the top. 

Narie Posted 25 Oct 2015 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 9

Mikayla1006 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 3:12am
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%