Do I Need Frosting For An Inedible Competition Cake?

Decorating By rlm0806 Updated 24 Oct 2015 , 3:37am by dhanya

rlm0806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm0806 Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 3

I am excited to say that I am entering my first cake competition!!! However, I have no clue what I am doing.... The rules allow for dummy cakes, but the sculpted cakes must be made out of real cake, which wont be consumed. I found a recipe on here for a dense inedible cake to use for my sculpted cake, and it turned out great! My only question is if I need to use frosting in between the layers?? And if so, what type of frosting?? I know I cant use buttercream, because it needs to last 2 weeks up until the competition... Maybe just an all shortening frosting?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2 replies
RobertBarnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobertBarnett Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

I would use royal icing. I dries hard and will keep the layer from slipping. You don't have to use a lot just enough to glue the layers together. I would also use it for any other decorating needs you have for your cake. Good luck.

-Robert

dhanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhanya Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 3:35am
post #3 of 3

I just did a cake competition last week.It was a noodle bowl cake.I made the construction grade recipe and baked the cake in a bowl  to get the noodle bowl shape,did not  torte or put icing in between the layers.Just iced the whole cake with chocolate ganache and covered it with fondant. I did it a week before the competition and its been 3 weeks , it is still in my kitchen without any problems of fondant melting.Hope this helps...

*Last edited by dhanya on 24 Oct 2015 , 3:37am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%