Gender Reveal Cake Design??

Decorating By frklphace Updated 1 Nov 2015 , 12:58am by cupcakemama3

frklphace Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a gender reveal cake and I'm kind of short on cute design ideas to ice the top of the cake with. I'm considering rolling fondant for the first time and then piping on top of it.. but I love BC's and I'm also considering a flour buttercream to frost and pipe. But what cute ideas can I pipe on top?

For the cake itself I think I'm going to make a three or four layer PINK gradient (so excited, it's my niece!) And I'm concerned because usually when you cut a cake, the knife picks up some of the color/crumb and gets exposed when you lift to cut again. Would you think for this reason a gradient cake is not the best of ideas? I can always do a white cake and frost the middle with pink BC.

Also as an additional question. I'm trying flour BC for the first time. Anyone have any complaints about piping with it? I've been looking online and aside from possible lumps I haven't seen any reviews on piping with it. I have been distracted and haven't had time for a test run so things need to go well...

Anyway, people in my life are tired of hearing me talk about cake. Thank goodness for Cake Central.

6 replies
mellee2012 Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 7

If the pink gradient cake is what you want to could always do a small surprise inside cake for the initial cutting.  Fill with pink candy and then cut into the big cake for serving.  As for decorations, just do a mix of blue and pink options.......question marks, baby shoes, baby rattles and such.  Sounds like a fun cake.....good luck

frklphace Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 7

Hi mellee, I didn't consider a surprise cake as a separate idea, that's interesting! I'll check on supplies..  I did think that I could pretty easily do a three layer and remove an interior ring so that anywhere it's sliced guarantees a rush of pink goodies onto the top of the cake.

I didn't even think of baby shoes or a rattle.. I think I can pull that off! Thanks!

KimmyKatCakes Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 6:05am
post #4 of 7

smile.png Here is a cake I did for a client. Not sure where she found the design, but it was super funny. 563308af7eb84.jpeg

remnant3333 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 7

This gave me a good laugh!!! Very funny!!

craftybanana2 Posted 30 Oct 2015 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 7

It's fall, so maybe a pumpkin patch theme to go with the baby stuff? My friend's gender-reveal cake was a pumpkin shape with rice kripsy pumpkin ears.

cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 12:58am
post #7 of 7

When I did my sister's I did white  cake with pink BC filling. When they lifted the knife back out they couldn't see the color. Here is the one I did. Everyone thought it was really cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%