To Refrigerate Or Not

Decorating By LenaW Updated 23 Oct 2015 , 9:46pm by cookiemum123

LenaW Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be decorating a wedding cake with SMBC for the first time. I am used to working with fondant and ABC and of course you don't have to refrigerate those. What about the SMBC once the whole cake is decorted? I read somewhere else that it turns into hard butter when cold but will it regain it's texture and sheen at room temperature? 

Thanks!

3 replies
julia1812 Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 4

I refrigerate all my smbc cakes. It's so much easier especially if you need to transport them. But they can stay out for quite a while.  I just wouldn't take a risk :[]

Brookebakescake Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 4

Same here. I refrigerate everything. It will firm up, which makes it easy to work with and then transport, but will thaw into creamy deliciousness. 

cookiemum123 Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 4

Buttercream is a dream! At the Bake Shop I interned for we'd crumb coat, set the cake into the frig., slather another nice even coat and put the cake in the fridge another 20 min. then you can adjust it and decorate. Then I learned to make Swiss Butter Cream it's so lovely to work with and delicious. I was taught at the shop the more the better, but i couldn't get it past my belief that all things in moderation or less is more. So I'm in love with Naked cakes now too lol!

I have a question about refrigerating cakes, rather freezing?  I made petit fours, caramel and apple filling, sort of a candy apple. A lady asked it I could make the whole thing as a cake..."of course"...I used Chocolate to cover the petit fours. So she wants the cake as close to the Thanks Giving Holiday as Possible("or else they'll eat it before the guess come", she says). I'm curious as to how long an almond cake can be frozen for? Is it the same as any other covered cake? Because I'm baking a few Cakes around that time. Ill post some pix...see how thick the coating is?562aaabaf2312.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%