Leaf Tip Preference?

Decorating By craftybanana2 Updated 24 Oct 2015 , 6:54pm by craftybanana2

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:16am
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I've seen two types of leaf tips, the kind that looks like an open fish mouth and the other that looks like an arrow with the tip missing.

Wilton #352

Wilton #69

I have #69, but it's a bear to figure out how to use! I can't tell if I'm doing it wrong or if the end got pressed together too much. I'm wondering if it's just normally tight since my Wilton rose tip is more closed than my Ateco (both are old 30+ years). I really hate to buy a new one since they are flimsy these days, but it never hurts to have two right?

Do you have a preference over which you prefer to use? I'm thinking basic leaves, like for roses and such, nothing that needs to be exact. I'm going to buy a new one soon.

Thank you!

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 23 Oct 2015 , 2:17am
7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:21am
post #2 of 8

the good old 352 is pretty handy.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:41am
post #3 of 8

I never use the 69.  Even if you open up the tip opening and make it wider with a kitchen knife, it is still stupid and doesn't work correctly to make a "pointed" leaf. 

I only use the 352 version.   I also use a larger version, Wilton # 366.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 8

I like the "fish mouth" tip, it never fails me.  I hate having to go back and fix the end with that "stupid" one, such a waste of time!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 8

i like them both they each serve a purpose -- i like to cut a parchment bag into the fish mouth  kind of tip -- just flatten the tip and cut it off in two snips voila

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

i like them both they each serve a purpose -- i like to cut a parchment bag into the fish mouth  kind of tip -- just flatten the tip and cut it off in two snips voila -- can make it as big or as small as you want -- and for that matter i have the leaf tube in many different sizes from leetle bitty to poppa bear size

craftybanana2 Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks all. I went back to see if I had another leaf tip in the bag, but it looks like my Mom had two tips (67 & 69), but not the fish mouth kind. So I'll be buying two fish mouth tips, one for buttercream and one for royal icing. I will try the parchment paper though, but I can never get the cone to stay (even with tape). I watched Julia Usher's video several times and understand the concept, but I guess I'll stick with bags for now. Thank you all for the help! :)

craftybanana2 Posted 24 Oct 2015 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all. I went back to see if I had another leaf tip in the bag, but it looks like my Mom had two tips (67 & 69), but not the fish mouth kind. So I'll be buying two fish mouth tips, one for buttercream and one for royal icing. I will try the parchment paper though, but I can never get the cone to stay (even with tape). I watched Julia Usher's video several times and understand the concept, but I guess I'll stick with bags for now. Thank you all for the help! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%