Can I Double The Recipe??

Baking By Debbye27 Updated 22 Oct 2015 , 2:40pm by Jeff_Arnett

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a flourless chocolate cake for a gluten free bday request for a little boy.  I know these end up being thin little cakes (delicious and amazing - but tiny)  I wanted to put his image on cake and a few piping decorations - I considered stacking two...but I am not confident in that working out due to the texture of cake.

So... does anyone know if it would be possible to just double the recipe to come up with a thicker taller cake?  Would I still get a good texture or would it have to spend hours in the oven???

Thanks

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 4

I would rather bake two. The cake is going to have a complete different texture to what you're used to and since it's the first time you'll have trouble to judge when it's done anyway. Don't stack to high though since it might collapse. I like almond or potato flour as a substitute to make a gluten free cake as it somehow keeps a "cake" texture.  Although that being said don't just go ahead and replace it one by one since almond flour would need way more eggs etc.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 4

SOLUTION - 

I came up with a way to have a great looking cake without stacking or compromising stability/texture...

Satellite Layers :)   (Think like Mickey Mouse Ears - 3 cakes (10, 8 and 6 inch) all the one layer, but in a triangular pattern) 

The little layer with a soccer ball on top. the middle layer with his #9 photo in action, and the big layer with the Happy Bday message and a good pic of him.  Decorated with Grass, and piping around it, and chocolate covered strawberries to fill in gaps :)

Just wanted to share in case anyone else runs into a prob like mine in the future...

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/826451/can-you-stackdecorate-a-flourless-chocolate-cake#JPUrLKe57RKbqeCp.99

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

Good solution!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%