Help Needed Pricing Out Sugar Flowers

Business By SugarSliceNY Updated 22 Oct 2015 , 6:01pm by costumeczar

SugarSliceNY Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 6

whenever I have made sugar flowers for a cake it's only been one or two, so when I had a couple approch me to price out a cake for them with sugar flowers cascading down the side, I soon became overwhelmed lol.  I can't even imagine how many I would need to make (I'm sure I'll make much more than what is needed).  The cake will most likely be a 4 tier cake, only 4"-6"-8"-10" rounds 4"H.  I wanted to give them an option with flowers that are more cartoonie (they would like most of them to be edible so many of them without wired petals) similar to the image below except in shades of blue.  How would you all price this out?

5 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 6

The pic did not come through 

Apti Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 6

Chances are that if this is your first request for a cascade of "edible" flowers, that the customer will not wish to pay for the time involved in making them.     Professional/bakery custom cake decorators who make and sell these types of cakes with gum paste flowers charge between $8 to $20 a serving, depending on the quality of the finished product.

Also, the title of "edible" flowers is very mis-leading.  Unless the flowers are made of modeling chocolate or fondant with only a tiny bit of gum paste/tylose for stability, they are not fun to eat--although technically "edible", they are like crunchy bits of tasteless cardboard if made out of gum paste.  This is especially (and obviously) true if the "edible" flowers are wired.

Without seeing the photo, it's impossible to tell what kind of flowers. 

Jeff Arnett just posted a VERY cool, fast, rose maker tool with no wires that could be made out of modeling chocolate and would make a lovely cascade.

SugarSliceNY Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 6

My goodness, the site was not letting me post pictures of the cake so I have the link to the image above.  I have explained to the client about potential cost and the fact that they wont truly be edible, but they are so determined to have have a cake with something to represent a waterfall that they are willing to increase their budget.

When pricing cake with detailed/wired sugar flowers cascading down typically people just increase the cost per slice rather than pricing per flower?

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 6

I sell flowers individually, and those are pretty fast to make since they're fantasy flowers. However, there are about 120 on there (estimating including the side you can't see) so that's going to take some time to do.

Honestly, most of those can be knocked out in about three minutes with a couple of cutters, but at three minutes each even the simple ones will take 240 minutes (4 hours) since there are about 80 of them. Then you have the big chrysanthemum, which there are about 5-6 of, and those would take a couple of hours at 20 minutes each. Then there are about 10-20 ribbon rose-type flowers (they could also be made with a bunch of circles layered on each other) but those will take 5-10 minutes each, so on the conservative side add another 3 hours. Probably won't take that long, but you never know.

So a rough estimate would be 8-9 hours to make the flowers. You know how much your time is worth so go from there. I'd charge about $250-300 depending on how big the cake tiers are. But if you're looking at it based on how many that cake has on it, that's the total time needed. If it's a smaller cake you might not need that many.

Quote by @%username% on %date%