Can You Stack/decorate A Flourless Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 22 Oct 2015 , 2:36pm by Debbye27

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make a gluten free cake for a birthday boy this weekend- soccer themed.

The only experience I have with gluten free is a flourless choc cake I made last year- was absolutely delicious.  So I figured I'd make that one again- it's been a long while - still trying to find recipe I used.... anyway- was wondering if it was possible to fill and stack it for some height - I have some good action shots of the kid playing soccer (he's on my boy's team) and I figured I'd print one out as an edible image- and decorate with some grass and him and a soccer ball.... I can do all this on a single layer--- but it would look better on a taller double layer...

So would it hold up to stacking?  Maybe with a ganache or meringue buttercream between layers?

Thanks!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 1:41am
post #2 of 3

It probably would, but it's going to be SUPER rich if it's like the flourless chocolate cakes I've made! I wouldn't go too high on it, it will be fine if it's short.

Be really careful with the gluten free, too. If it's something that he's super sensitive to and you bake with regular wheat flour you can have cross-contamination that might make your kitchen not good for gluten-free baking. even wiping down your equipment and cleaning everything might not be enough depending on his sensitivity level. I know a couple of kids who end up int he hospital on a regular basis because they have such a problem with gluten. Then at the other end there are people who just go gluten free because it's trendy, it's hard to figure out what people really need these days...

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 3

SOLUTION - 

I came up with a way to have a great looking cake without stacking or compromising stability/texture...

Satellite Layers :)   (Think like Mickey Mouse Ears - 3 cakes (10, 8 and 6 inch) all the one layer, but in a triangular pattern) 

The little layer with a soccer ball on top. the middle layer with his #9 photo in action, and the big layer with the Happy Bday message and a good pic of him.  Decorated with Grass, and piping around it, and chocolate covered strawberries to fill in gaps :)

Just wanted to share in case anyone else runs into a prob like mine in the future...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%