Fondant Dummy Cake

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 22 Oct 2015 , 7:09pm by ropalma

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 4

I asked a few days ago and got no answers, so I’m hoping someone will reply today.

I am doing an 8” x 8” round dummy cake covered in fondant.  I have 2   8” x 4” dummies that I have hot glued/skewered together.

There is a seam, so I was wondering if I need to seal the seam somehow, so it doesn’t show through the fondant, or will the seam not be a problem?  Since it is a dummy I won’t be frosting it, so there won’t be a smooth barrier between the fondant and the dummy.

I was going to brush the dummies with watered down gum glue and then cover with fondant.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it, thanks!

3 replies
Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 4

The seam will probably show up. You might try filling it in with something - royal icing, crisco? and make sure it's smooth before you cover in fondant. Even cake dummies aren't that forgiving. If you aren't pressed for time, Guildcraft foam will cut you a dummy that is the thickness you want.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe I will ice it, afterall, just to make sure it is smooth.  I am using SMBC.  Thanks

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with Honey6983.  You need something like royal icing to patch the seam.  But you can also microwave some fondant until it is spreadable and then take your spatula and spackle the seam.  Then just let it harden back up and you should be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%