Need A Tasty Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By aaabeginner Updated 21 Oct 2015 , 11:56pm by aaabeginner

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 1:27am
post #1 of 5

So I am a beginner cake enthusiast. I would like to start practicing decorating cakes with buttercream frosting. I made a very small batch of wilton's recipe to practice. It makes nice rosettes, but it personally does not taste good to me! I feel it tastes very sugary and waxy. Does anyone have a better recipe that tastes more buttery?

4 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

Swap the shortening out for butter... that will automatically make it more buttery...

Add additional flavorings to it...

As far as practice goes... use it the way it is... scrape it off the practice board and use it again...

For cakes that will be consumed either alter it, find a different ABC such as Indydebbie's, try a SMBC or IMBC, or even try a cooked flour icing if the decor is simple...

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 3:33am
post #3 of 5

Go to you tube and type in icing flowers, buttercream flowers, buttercream borders, etc.  You will find many videos showing which tip to use and how to hold it and how to pipe them. Then you can practice, practice and keep on practicing. The more practice, the better your piping will be. Buttercream flowers are very beautiful!! If you are into fondant or sugar flowers, then you can find that as well.  

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

If you can, attend the Wilton classes at a local craft store.  For beginners, they are an excellent foundation and will teach you many fabulous piping methods and flowers.

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 5

I will try those suggestions! Thanks so much! smile.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%