Problems With Cake Pops

Decorating By bellosoc Updated 21 Oct 2015 , 11:10pm by dooberbug

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 8

My cake pops keep cracking... I don't know why? I follow the advise to put your cake pops in the fridge before covering for 15 to 20 minutes but unfortunately after I finish the decoration of the cake pop I notice that they were crack. I don't know how to fix it because I am new at this any advise will be great. 

7 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 8

It's hard to say for sure without seeing a pic, but I'd say that your cake pops are falling off the sticks.  Or slipping, and that's what's cracking them.  Make sure your pops aren't too big, that you put some chocolate or coating on the sticks before inserting in the pop, that they set up before coating, and that your coating isn't too thick so it doesn't stress your pops  

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 8

Both the candy coating and the cake pop should be closer to room temperature according to this article...so that they don't crack! Try it and let us know!

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/06/dos-and-donts-of-cake-pops/

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

And, by the way, I think that craftsy class is free...at end of article.

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 4:34am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much, I do put a coat of chocolate on the tip before putting it on the cake pop.  Maybe I am making them too big and heavy.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 9:03am
post #6 of 8

I found my cake pops cracked to start with.  As per instructions, I chilled them, then dipped them in the chocolate.  The chocolate set but as the temp increased to room temp, the cake naturally expands and the chocolate cracks.  Nearly gave up with them but then read a few trouble shooting tips.  I now chill them, then let them come back to room temp (or not far off).  Never had a problem since.  Hope that works for you :-)

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 8

This used to happen to me in the beginning, I think its because the cake pop expanded after being coated with chocolate. Now I put them in the fridge for 15 minutes, then remove then and let them sit for 5 minutes and coat them with chocolate. There's always a few that crack but for some reason it ALWAYS closes a few hours later and you can't notice a single thing. Feels like magic haha!

dooberbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooberbug Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 8

Make sure your cake pop dough isn't too oily or too mushy. No need to refrigerate, unless briefly after you stick it on the stick with chocolate. It's the temperature differentials that tend to lead to cracking. If you don't refrigerate after putting the ball on the stick, it is much less likely that you will crack. Let the "cemented" ball come back to room temp if you fridged it to set it before you dip it. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%