Moving Stories (Selling/buying House)

Business By Honey6983 Updated 21 Oct 2015 , 7:52pm by MimiFix

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everybody,

I've been in business 3 years licensed and inspected from home. We put our house on the market Friday in hopes to sell and upgrade to a larger home and totally separate kitchen/space for the business - YAY!! Once we go under contract we'll have 45-60 days to close. I've got orders scheduled sporadically through next year, but I'm struggling with how to schedule future orders, not knowing how long our house will be on the market/when we'll be moving/when the new kitchen will be up and running. My thought is to take orders only for the next 45 days and explain to customers why and make it as easy as possible for them to order at that 45 day mark. I'm hoping some of you will have insights into this type of situation and advice in how to handle it without it effecting your established business too much. I really want to avoid alienating current and new customers but I certainly don't want to over promise and under deliver or have to cancel on anyone. Thanks!

3 replies
HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 4

Wow! Congratulations!  This is totally a guessing game right now.  There is no way to predict how quickly your house will sell.  Plus, you don't have any idea how long it is going to take you to get a new kitchen up and running.  I think your 45 day limit is good for now.  You can adjust as time goes along...This will be an interruption to your business no matter what.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 4

Is there a commercial kitchen nearby that you could rent as a last resort?  I had a friend who used to have a catering business and she found a church that was willing to rent to her cheaply.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

How exciting! I hope all goes well. But I agree with HannahsMomi, it's a guessing game, out of your control. Until your house sells and you move into the next one, business decisions need to be flexible.  (I just sold my house so I totally sympathize with your situation.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%