Central Dowel And Sliding - Fondant Vs Buttercream Cake

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 20 Oct 2015 , 11:12am by Brookebakes

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 4:36am
post #1 of 3

Hello hello! I have a 3 tiered wedding cake booked for November - entirely SMBC decorated. Side info - Australian summer in Queensland, it will be HOT!

I've stacked a number of 3 tiered cakes before, but they have all been fondant decorated. I feel as though using royal icing in-between the tiers on fondant cakes (so attaching the base board of one tier to the fondant surface of the tier below) is nice and secure and have never had any problems. Will I have "sliding" issues with SMBC? 

Not sure if a central dowel will help, as the base board is meant to be quite thin (strong though - masonite), so there won't be much depth for a central dowel to stick into. Will the SMBC be enough "glue" between layers to keep everything steady? - Planning on keeping it refrigerated as long as possible for extra support, but it will have 2 x 1 hour separate car trips, with air-con.

Maybe the masonite board on top of a drum board, if I can get a dowel to go through both? (Needing the look of the coloured masonite board cosmetically).

Thanks!

2 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 10:01am
post #2 of 3

I would use an interlocking plate support system if I were you.  I have personally used a centre dowel (but that is more because the boards we have here are VERY stiff).  You could always pre-drill them if you really wanted to.  If I have an all-buttercream covered cake, I always try and use an interlocking system for my own sanity (especially if I am taking it stacked!) and so far, so good.  Could you stack on site?

Good luck x

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 11:12am
post #3 of 3

Thank you! A stacking system does seem like a great idea. I just watched a tutorial and understand them a little better now.

unfortunately I can't stack onsite, cake has to be delivered 48 hours before the wedding :-/

Now to find somewhere to order SPS from in Australia, without international postage costing more than the products!... That will be my next forum question!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%