Frozen Cake, Filling With Raspberry Jam/preserves, And Decorating With Smbc & Fondant

Decorating By LouisNutri Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 5:15pm by julia1812

LouisNutri Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 12:35am
post #1 of 3

Good day! My friend's father is coming in a month and am planning on baking in advance a week before his birthday. I have a series of questions that I hope you guys could answer regarding the title of this post:

1. Should I thaw the cake BEFORE filling, crumbcoating, final icing, and decorating it? I will be using raspberry sauce as a filling, SMBC as the icing, and then some decorations with fondant/gumpaste. The cake won't be covered in fondant/gumpaste, just used as decos.

2. What is the best method of thawing cakes: on the counter or in the fridge?

3. Should I add simple syrup after thawing the (undecorated) cakes or before freezing?

4. Will the SMBC "sweat" if I use it BEFORE the cake has thawed?

5. How can I create an appropriate raspberry filling for the stacked cakes? Do I just mash the preserves and run it through a fine sieve? Should I add gelatin/agar agar or cornstarch to the preserve?

(The cake will be two-tiered, 8-inch bottom & 6-inch top)

**Here is a picture of the design I'm thinking of doing. Can someone tell me if the 4-dot pattern is too feminine? I had a hard time creating even circles, so forgive me! Color palette suggestions? The celebrant likes blue & grey, I don't know what shade of blue, though...

5624407db9e7b.jpeg

*Last edited by LouisNutri on 19 Oct 2015 , 12:59am
2 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 3

Wow, that's a lot of questions!  Many can be answered by using the search function.  Since the bulk of your questions have to do with freezing I can tell you what I do.  Bake, cool, torte, fill, crumb, freeze.  Day before cake is needed I final frost and decorate frozen. I do not use simple syrup unless I'm trying to introduce another flavor like coffee in tiramisu.  If there is a perishable filling I box and put in the fridge, if not and the weather is below 75°F and there's no room in the fridge I might leave it out.  You have a completely separate issue with your filling.  A "sauce" is not a good idea.   You're asking for seepage, slippage and all around sogginess.  Use the search for an appropriate raspberry filling.  Oh and I do not think the dots are too feminine, it's sort of a personal taste kind of thing, but if you're concerned go with more of a geometric design.  

julia1812 Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 3

1. I normally defrost first. But hardly ever freeze a cake, so am not an expert...

2. I defrost outside, just on the counter, still wrapped. 

3. Either way will be okay

4. Not sure (see no 1)

5. I use fresh raspberries, puree them and run the puree through a sieve. Them I cook it with sugar and corn starch to thicken.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%