3/4-Inch Cake Layers Okay For A Triple-Layer Sheet Cake?

Baking By cambake Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 12:04am by cambake

cambake Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 4

I agreed to make a cake for a co-worker's retirement party. I'm a hobbyist, so I've never done anything this large  I decided to bake and freeze the cakes and make the SMBC this weekend.  I planned to bake 3 1-inch layers but 2 of the layers baked up taller (way taller!) than my test cake.   I have 3 cake layers of different heights ( 1"ish, 1.5, 1.5).    If I trim the taller layers to 1 inch, that's an awful lot of wasted cake.  I hate to waste cake, and we're all sick of cake pops.

I was thinking about halving the taller layers, making one 3-layer cake and one 2-layer cake. (Or baking another layer for another 3-layer cake.)   I spent 14 hours baking yesterday, I'm exhausted and my brain can't think this through.  I can't visualize it, so I'd like to hear from some more experienced bakers!

3 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 4

Use the layers as is.  If you put the 1" layer in the middle of the higher layers, it will look fine. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

what she said

cambake Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 12:04am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, guys! I had the feeling that I was thinking too hard about this, but I couldn't visualize it  in my head.  (Also, the size of the audience is making me super worried about screwing it up!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%