Oil Pooling At The Bottom

Decorating By TheDoughHo Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 2:15am by Magda_MI

TheDoughHo Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 5

After I decorate and the cake sits, I notice shiny oil/grease gathering at the bottom border of the cake, around all sides. I can't tell if it's from the cake or from the frosting.

I recently reduced the canola oil in my cakes to 75% the original volume to deal with some moisture issues, but I'm still seeing this oil seep out. It's not excessive - but I can certainly notice it. And on one cake it was bad enough that when the customer held it up at an angle to take a picture the cake actually started to slide off the board!

Happen to anyone else?

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

Oh my!  That's never happened to me before.  What's the total amount of oil you're using and what kind of frosting do you make?

oftheeicing Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 12:37am
post #3 of 5

I have had issues with my buttercream weeping which is more noticeable in warmer temperatures, but I have noticed it on occasion at room temperature.  I use a variation of Indydebi's using a mixture of shortening and butter.  The times that I have had issues are only when I have used Keller's brand butter, so I refuse to use that brand anymore.

I hope you are able to find the source of your problem.

TheDoughHo Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 1:05am
post #4 of 5

I reduced the oil down to 45g plus 60g butter. The frosting has a pound of butter and a pound of shortening. Sometimes I think my butter is too soft when I make the frosting but I'm not sure that matters (?)

It's really frustrating. It pools enough that if I stick the corner of a paper towel near the border I can absorb it.

Oil separates out of the buttercream when it's on the counter as well, at room temperature in its container. That takes a quick stir to fix....but on the cake is a different story

Magda_MI Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 2:15am
post #5 of 5

I had problems with weeping buttercream when crisco went trans fat free.  It got better when I switched to store brand shortening that still had trans fat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%