Friday Night Cake Club For 10/16/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 12:03am by Njewett

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 1:27am
post #1 of 23

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to tell about their week, show photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! ALL levels of cakers are welcome! We love seeing everyone's creations and are always happy to help if you need it!

Cat

22 replies
catlharper Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 1:28am
post #2 of 23

Hi everyone! I'm opening up the discussion but I have to work tonight so I won't be around till morning! Hope to come back and see LOTS of wonderful caking creations!

Cat

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 3:23am
post #3 of 23

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3353585/pink-peony-and-pearls

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3353658/american-buttercream-rose-cake

finally made a peony, (my second attempt.) Put it on a 'midnight blue' FondX fondant cake.

An American Buttercream cake with piped roses & 'c' tip flowers.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 5:12am
post #4 of 23

5621dd9d6df70.jpegWow! Well done @MBalaska  

I really like the peony. Never done one before though!  I watched tones of how to videos but to be honest I'm missing the patience for that kind of work I guess,  lol.

I had some cupcake orders this week. But my absolute favourite was making this Asterix and Obelix cake for my friend's son's birthday!!! It was like a flashback into my childhood.  Back then I read probably every asterix book available at the time. I know it's not very popular in America for some reason... 

*Last edited by julia1812 on 17 Oct 2015 , 5:33am
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 7:38am
post #5 of 23

MB: Your flowers are beautiful and your peony cake is especially elegant.

Julia: Your cake has so much personality!  What was the occasion? I love your figures and the big rock!

I wanted to make macarons for my sister in law who is allergic to nuts so I tried making them with sunflower seeds.  They came out pretty well except that sunflower seeds are that ugly greyish green color so I tried to tint them pink and they came out this color... with the chocolate buttercream filling they look like hamburgers!

5621faf9c1f55.jpeg

I was hired to make a mah jong tile for my client's mom.  This is the green dragon tile which signifies good fortune.

5621fafa03945.jpeg

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 17 Oct 2015 , 7:45am
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 23

56225596930ad.jpegHello everyone hope everyone had a good week!! We only had one order this week for a blackberry pie but I spent most every morning on the phone and computer taking orders!! We have 4 due next week and several for the following week. We booked our biggest order yet for January so I'll be posting our work in the coming weeks. 

Love the mah Jong tile @Pastrybaglady  looks like you worked it out great!! Oh who doesn't love hamburgers lol :) 

love all the other cakes this week too!!!

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 23

Love all the cakes, especially the Asterix one!  My college roommate was a fan.

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 17 Oct 2015 , 4:42pm
catlharper Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 23

Good morning everyone! This time of year is typically slow...a "break" time before the holiday orders start to hit. In our home tho, this is when our family holidays hit. We have 10 birthdays and 3 anniversaries in our family between Oct 18 and Dec 31. My birthday, tomorrow, kicks it off. Fortunately I don't "have" to make my own cake. My younger daughter is also a caker and takes care of that most years...unless I request something bought or I make my own. This year she is going to make it. Right now I'm trying to come up with what I want to make for Halloween!

@MBalaska  That peony is just breathtaking! SO lovely and my favorite of yours this week!

@julia1812  That cake is just awesome. I don't know who the characters are but your figures are simply wonderful!

@Pastrybaglady  The fact that you can make macarons to begin with is impressive...to make them with sunflower seeds?!?! Wow! Love the mh jong tile. I had to make a mah jong cake once and it was a chore trying to get the symbols to look right since I don't write Chinese! 

@Webake2gether  Ooooo PIE! We have had a few of those lately in our home and I'm thinking of baking another one next week. What IS it with Fall and Pie...they just go together! Congrats on the orders coming in! How exciting!

Well, today is Pumpkin Patch day. I work tonight but tomorrow I'm off all day and we are going whale watching, then having a family dinner followed by seeing My Fair Lady on the big screen at our local theater! So I'll catch you all Monday!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 23

@Webake2gether  That's so great the orders are pouring in!  Rest up over the weekend, things are going to be crazy for you for the rest of the year smiley.png

Webake2gether Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 23

@Pastrybaglady  Our weekends have been very relaxing Monday comes and we get busy. Thankfully we have a schedule that just seems to work out great. I'm very diligent about our homeschool and it seems that so far everything has worked smoothly around that and our weekends have been our family time  :) 

come Christmas time we'll take 2 weeks off of school and I'm hoping to be busy with orders lol. 

@catlharper  Happy early Birthday!!!

I love pie!!! It's really becoming a preference over all other baked goods as far as personal consumption goes. We made a triple berry pie last week and I seriously could've ate it all by myself ;) whale watching sounds like such a wonderful time....slightly jealous here lol.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend and even better week!!!

MBalaska Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 23

Thank you all for your kind words.  After I made the buttercream cake I found a good tutorial online.  This gal is really good. 

Your pie looks delish, you really made a pretty nice crust!  Success wishes for your business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 23

I went to the amusement park last night, I only had this one cake to do yesterday.

5622b9c039032.jpeg

Also, happy birthday @catlharper  , The cakes that are posted are all cute, and I want pie now.

MBalaska Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 23

@costumeczar  that cake is definitely a "custom cake" as you've made someones unique desire come true.

Webake2gether Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 12:23am
post #14 of 23

@MBalaska  my husband actually made it :) my recipe his work of art lol. 

@costumeczar  what a cake!! the dripping look is really in now. 

costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 2:12am
post #15 of 23

Haha! That's the calmed-down version without the skeleton bride and groom topper that she wanted. Her mother put the nix on that.

costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 2:26am
post #16 of 23

But I do have to add that it was super easy to decorate, drip drip then slap some gumpaste petals on it and you can go take a nap  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 4:10am
post #17 of 23

Happy birthday @catlharper  

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 9:55am
post #18 of 23

Happy birthday @catlharper  

All the cakes are amazing as always. 

@Pastrybaglady  love the macaroons.  

@Webake2gether  thank you now I want pie. Yours looks delicious.

happy baking

Webake2gether Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:17pm
post #19 of 23

My husband made an apple pie this afternoon thought I'd share :)56242890564c1.jpeg

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:18pm
post #20 of 23

I love everyone work this week.  I finally tried my hand at making gun paste roses. Here is my first completed rose. 562428c674906.jpeg562428c75fc75.jpeg562428c7d90e2.jpeg

Njewett Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:18pm
post #21 of 23

I love everyone work this week.  I finally tried my hand at making gun paste roses. Here is my first completed rose. 562428d0c366d.jpeg562428d167490.jpeg562428d1edc8c.jpeg

MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:59pm
post #22 of 23

@Njewett  Congratulations on your first gumpaste flower.  The color is lovely.  Isn't gumpaste fun??

Njewett Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 12:03am
post #23 of 23

Thank you MBalaska. It is fun. I am currently working on making four more right now. I know the edges are little rough but I am happy with how it came out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%