Skin Tone Combination?

Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 16 Oct 2015 , 10:21pm by usmdesigner

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 9

I used "copper" and the color looks like a peach.  Just trying to get some advice as it looks like when I search the web the colors are all over the place on what to use.  I just do cakes every so often and don't have a big collection of colors, and would like to keep away from buying a lot I don't need :(

Any suggestions on how what to blend to help move it to skin tone from peach?

Thanks!

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 9

Depends on how pale the person is whose skin tone you're copying! If it was me you could use regular white with no food color and that would be pretty close, haha.

If it's too pink you could add a little more white, or a tiny tiny bit of green to un-pink it a little. usually a lot of white icing with a tiny bit of brown, pink and orange in different combinations will give you a caucasian skin tone if that's what you're going for.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 9

For Caucasian skin tones I usually start with yellow and add a touch of pink. Maybe you could try to neutralise the peach colour with a little more yellow?

If you have a lot to colour, I would break a small piece off and try to correct that first so you know where you're going.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

For Caucasian skin tones I usually start with yellow and add a touch of pink. Maybe you could try to neutralise the peach colour with a little more yellow?

If you have a lot to colour, I would break a small piece off and try to correct that first so you know where you're going.

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 9

I'm finding that all skin tones end up with some combination of yellow, red, brown and green (to tone down pink and make everything a little muddy). Skin is complicated so I think more is more in getting the right tone.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading up on the color wheel and using those principles to help you.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 12:36am
post #6 of 9

Complimentary colors make brown.  So: blue+orange, red+green, and purple+yellow all make brown.  Since skin is mostly a brown/tan with a little touch of pink in it, use green+red, but usually a tiny bit more red than green.  If you're color looks too peachy, you need more green.  not much more.

usmdesigner Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah it was pretty much as peachy as it gets.  I had no clue what green or how much.  Long story short, it turned absolute green after just a dab of green :(

Going to have to give it another shot tonight or during the weekend.  This is something I'm planning for at the end of november, so I have time.  Just trying to work it out now :)

Thanks for the advice so far!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 9

for caucasian skin i use mostly white icing colored with a bit of pink icing and yellow icing -- add varying amounts of brown icing  to make darker skin tones -- in other words don't use color right out of the bottle/jar

usmdesigner Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 9

Well I just tried Americolor's Ivory and it actually looks pretty good.  Going for a fair skinned person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%