Fondant Ruffles

Decorating By Amps.prkns Updated 20 Oct 2015 , 10:27pm by -K8memphis

Amps.prkns Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

This cake is eating away at my inner emotions. I will have to deliver this cake close to 45min away. I typically refrigerate my buttercream cakes unstacked and transport them that way. But I'm not sure what to do with the layer that appears to have fondant/gumpaste Ruffles. My walk-in fridge does not have humidity control and I know the fondant will melt if it sat in there over night. So how do I transport such a delicate layer? Should I put the Ruffles on at the venue? Or put them on and let them harden and transport it not refrigerated? 

7 replies
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 12:04am
post #2 of 8

Can you wrap the ruffle tier up in a plastic wrap cocoon and refrigerate it that way? Maybe do a test to see if the condensation will stay off of the fondant if you do it that way.

Shockolata Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 8

Make the ruffles with modelling chocolate and there won't be any problem transporting them! :)

MBalaska Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 8

That cake photo looks like it's already set up at a reception venue, it doesn't look to have any damage.

ropalma Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

I do not refrigerate my fondant covered cakes.  It should sit out very well without refrigeration.

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 8

Why does that tier have to be refrigerated?

Amps.prkns Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 8

It doesn't have to be refrigerated. The whole issue is I work at a country club and 99.9% of my cakes are for right here at the club. This cake though will have to be transported about 45 min. Away. Normally when i transport cakes I refrigerate the buttercream layers and transport them cold. But since this cake has a fondant layer I was unsure how to transport it. I don't want to get to the venue with broken Fondant ruffles. 

-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

shockolata for the win -- use modeling choco

Quote by @%username% on %date%