Help! Covering Foam In Royal Icing With Real Egg Whites And Its Too Dry Or Sliding Off!!!

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 13 Oct 2015 , 9:39pm by maroonghia

Moniquea Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 5

I looked up several recipes and while I found this amazing

I don't have the Meriwhites (is that royal icing mixture or meringue powder/eggwhite powder)

But is that the only thing I'm doing wrong?  I spent hours trying to smooth it out and left it on my porch overnight to dry; only to find the 'morning dew' have softened it and its sliding off!!!

I'm out of time now they are due tomorrow and I'm freaking out - any help is appreciated :)

4 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 5

Hello! Is there a reason you left it on the porch? I would just leave it on your table to dry out. Any dry place would be fine, but any place that gets dew is not suitable.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 5

yes water/dew will kill royal icing --

i usually use egg whites for my royal -- you just want to be sure to stretch the eggs whites out enough till it is nice & fluffy -- like 20 mins in the mixer -- once it sets up you can sand it off smooth 

i would ordinarily recommend putting royal in a barely warm oven but that could warp the foam --

properly made royal should be pretty set up in a few hours -- would take overnight at least before you could sand it though -- if you need a new recipe check out the joy of baking for their royal icing with egg whites

hope it all works out -- best to you

PS there's a video on there too but here's a good recipe

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 1:14pm
Moniquea Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you - I will check it out now blush.png

maroonghia Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5

You might also use the viva towel method to smooth out the royal icing, to help speed the process. Basically,  ice your dummy, getting it as smooth as you can with your spatulas, then lay a viva paper towel (without any pattern) over the top of the crusting royal, and use an icing smoother on the towel to smooth the icing. Then set it a few feet from a fan to help speed the drying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%