Edible Markers On Fondant

Decorating By brinacyl Updated 14 Oct 2015 , 12:39pm by brinacyl

brinacyl Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:04am
post #1 of 10

hello everyone

i am planning to make minion cupcake toppers and draw few details with edible markers ( yellow gum paste disc with drawing on it) . i suck at using the markers ! every time i try drawing with them, i end up with too many indentations in the fondant ( gum paste or marshmallow fondant) and hardly any visible drawings. any tips ? thank you

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:53am
post #2 of 10

I'm not a huge fan of the markers in general for the same reasons you mention. I either dig into the fondant trying to get a darker color, or it doesn't want to write if there's grease or something on the surface. Having said that, not all of them are made equally, some edible markers are actually useful and some just seem to dry out after one use. I tend to end up painting everything on with food coloring and a paintbrush, so you might have more luck doing that if you're not good with the markers.

kstevens Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

I have used edible markers to write/draw on fondant on several occassions now.  I find the key is to have a light touch with the markers & it also helps to let the fondant dry a bit before you draw on it.  That is, don't roll it out & then immediately try drawing on it.  I have used them on gumpaste as well.  The brand I have been using are the Ameri Color Gourmet Writers.

I've had no issue with them drying out & have had them for quite some time now.  I'm not even sure how old they are as I purchased them used from a lady who was getting out of the cake business.  At the time it was the only way I could afford them.

Below are a couple of cakes that I have used them on.  Good luck!

561c6c8b5a5cb.jpeg561c6c8bbc2b4.jpeg

Claire138 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 5:02am
post #4 of 10

@kstevens, I've always avoided using them for the reasons the others mentioned but yours looks amazing.

Callicious Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 9:06am
post #5 of 10

I avoid the markers now as find the same problem, they indent the fondant. I prefer to paint on the detail. The markers are fine on royal icing I find, but they do dry out quick I'm finding. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 10

i have good luck with the markers -- just gotta have a soft touch i guess idk works for me -- yes i use americolor gourmet and the other big fat ones too but americolor are better and yes they last forever -- i snip the tips if need be for a finer point --

yes -- you can't use them like you would on paper -- like use the edge/side of it rather than head on -- not point first kwim -- softly though 'works a treat' for me

love that expression glad i got to use it ha! (hope i used it correctly)

and they do not unfreeze well -- they come out of the fridge well not the freezer though runs like rain --

best to you and all

and kstevens, yes your stuff looks really nice

ps. maybe hold/use the marker like it was a paint brush?

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 3:30pm
virago Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 10
i have good luck with the markers -- just gotta have a soft touch i guess idk works for me -- yes i use americolor gourmet and the other big fat ones too but americolor are better and yes they last forever -- i snip the tips if need be for a finer point --

@-K8memphis  thanks for this guidance! thought i had gotten a dude pair of americolor blacks 'cause fine details were impossible to produce. i will try snipping a tip!

@kstevens  that's a beautiful sugar skull!

*Last edited by virago on 13 Oct 2015 , 4:17pm
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 10

you're welcome, thank you --

ps -- maybe hold it like a continuous paint brush that you never have to dip in anything but use it more on the side

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 4:22pm
kstevens Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the compliments on my cakes :-)

I think it's really just practice with the markers that makes the difference.  Work with some practice fondant first to get the hang of using them is my suggestion. 

brinacyl Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 10

thank you for all your replies. as suggested i tried using markers as paint brushes (instead of using as  markers and pressing hard) and the results were better. i guess i need a lot of practice. i will post pictures soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%