Creating A Portfolio For Possible Employers

Business By jessd15 Updated 13 Oct 2015 , 8:10pm by jessd15

jessd15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessd15 Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, I  am currently applying to businesses as a cake decorator. I have pictures of work that I have done, and I would like to send it to them via e-mail. The question is, how or what is the proper way to send a portfolio? Do I send it as a pdf file? Do I make a website upload it to that and send them a link? If so, what are good websites to do so? I wouldn't want to be a nuisance sending a bunch of pictures in one email, I'd like it all to be in one area. (I'm not sure if I explained that right). If I do get an interview however, I do plan on bringing a physical portfolio for them to look at. 

Thanks everyone :D

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 3

the bottom line issue is measuring the egos first -- you want to display the level of  work that will fit perfectly into the work station you are applying for -- and that can be most tricky -- you want to fit in with the other people's skills -- even if it's a solo position you still have to fit into the employer's plan kwim -- you likely will have to learn a few new ways to do things that may or may not be better than the way you already do them -- so in my experience I've done best when checking my ego at the door and just being a doer and a sponge which is tricky when you need to market yourself for a job interview --

so if i was applying i would not lead wth pictures unless they were requested --

i would market my other job skills of availability, previous positions, how long you've been decorating, in general what mediums you are comfortable with -- any big holes like if you're not fast or if you can't do something they do ex. can't pipe a rose if that kind of decor is used -- let them ask you about your in depth decorating skills -- if you wield a mighty rolling pin and can cover a four tier cake in well under hour i'd still not flaunt anything because they will no doubt use a different brand of fondant and it's all different working in a new place 

to summarize it's not about "see what I can do for you" it's about "how can my determination, availability, team work ethic and  skills make your life easier" 

so just my thoughts on the subject and i hope you get the job and you love it!

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 12:27pm
jessd15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessd15 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 3

That's a lot of great points and definitely something I would have to think about. Thank you very much for your help! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%