Gringerbread House Help

Decorating By L.maune6 Updated 12 Oct 2015 , 8:37pm by -K8memphis

L.maune6 Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 5

Each year my family has a VERY competitive gingerbread house contest. We use the little kits from Walmart that are premade. I'm looking for help with a few ideas I have.

first, I would like to make the Christmas lights shown below to line the roof. They call for small wire to connect the candies but the one rule for the contest is that everything must be edible. What can I use to replace this that can hold the candies?

also, I want to make windows out of sugar or caramel. What is the best way to do this and the best recipe for it. Also, can I add orange food coloring to give it a glowing effect?

im pretty much a beginner but I have plenty of time to practice. also if there're are any ideas of how I can make my house the best they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!561c0a31b0969.jpeg

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

angel hair pasta partially cooked for the light string?  i've never tried it myself but it's a definite maybe -- but on a real house you don't see the strings at night kwim? only the lights are visible 

the windows i know you can use butterscotch disk candy and melt it in the oven -- make a little template with foil & whatever then crush the candy and fill the template -- bake it till it melts -- let it cool -- voila -- 

i learned the few things i know about gingerbread from frankie's attic -- very grateful to them

i LOVE your lights -- brilliant!

kkmcmahan Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

If you want the string to show, attach the lights to the roof and once they are all in place take some tinted royal icing and pipe  it through a number 2 or 3 tip.  To make it easier, you can add a little corn syrup to the icing first, that will give it more elasticity and make it easier to pipe.

Showstoppers Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

For your windows I would crush some boiled sweets (a mix of clear and orange ones rather than adding colour separately) Spread it fairly thickly on silicone paper in an oven approx 100 degrees centigrade. You may need to try it a couple of times to get it right depending on sweets used and temperature of oven. Keep an eye on it and take it out as soon as it melts down. I made a windscreen for my mini cooper cake this way a worked a treat. I would like to see the finished house! 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

wow that's a great cake, showstoppers -- love the windshield

Quote by @%username% on %date%